Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-17-2002

RookieHunter is on a distinguished road
Looking for Spreaders

Brand new at sailing. Attempting to restore a ''23 foot Hunter. Does anyone have any idea where I can find replacement spreaders?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Looking for Spreaders

Spreaders are typically unique to each boat type. On a small boat they are usually pretty easy to build yourself. In the case of a Hunter 23 you should be able to get a set from Hunter or at least enough information that you can fabricate them yourself. If you are especially not handy at making things then you would need to have a spar and rigging fabricator make them for you.

Jeff
Old 11-18-2002

Looking for Spreaders

Would it be okay to duplicate it in wood. I think it would look nice in teak, but I wonder about the durability and the added weight over the current aluminum?
Old 11-18-2002

Looking for Spreaders

Still lost. I know the current ones are aluminum. Would you take it to an aluminum shop or is there another material to replace it with?
Old 11-19-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Looking for Spreaders

Like I said, I would start with Hunter. They can probably supply them as cheaply as any other source. They have a website http://www.huntermarine.com/ ( click on ''About Hunter''and then ''Contact Us'') with customer support on it.

The typical Hunter rig with swept back spreaders and no backstay places a comparably large amount of stress on the spreaders and so they need to be made sturdily and accurately. Hunter appears to use a standard wingshaped aluminum extruded section that is made for use as spreaders. If you know the size and profile (which can be determined my tracing the spreader base fitting on the mast) then you can purchase this extrusion from Dwyer or Kenyon spars, both of which have websites that show the spar sections that they have available.

Otherwise, if you don''t go to Hunter you can go to a spar maker and have new ones made in aluminum. (Spar makers are companies that make masts, booms and of course spreaders.)

I don''t necessarily recommend that you make the new spreaders out of wood but if you did I would suggest that the wood of choice for spreaders would be clear Sitka Spruce or as a distant second, clear fir. Teak offers pretty poor strength per weight and the teak that we see available tends to have rips in the grain that make it unsuitable for compressive loads like experienced in a spreader. Wooden spreaders will need carefullt fabricated end caps to keep the wood from rotting or splitting.

Jeff
Old 11-23-2002

Looking for Spreaders

I forgot to address the Hunter idea. The mast is so old that they forwarded me to Z-spar who was going to try and replace them as soon as I sent them a picture.

Good news is that in the interim, I found out I don''t need spreaders. The old ones had wire coiled around the end to keep the shroud from coming out. Over the wire they had tape. I thought the end was broken, but apparently I just need an end cap. I''m currently in communication with Z-Spar to see about end caps, but if they come up negative, do you have other ideas?