Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-12-2009

SiXeVeN is on a distinguished road
Paint opinions??? Dark vs Light??

I am looking to paint the hulls on my new project cat and was thinking about going with a dark blue or navy. Any disadvantage to a dark hull color? I guess it would get hotter in direct sunlight but are there other issues? I don't want to do the standard white but i'm not sure how dark to go???

I was thinking about Awlgrip Marlin blue for instance.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What is your project cat made of. If it has a foam core or uses epoxy resin, you'll probably want to stick with light colors. Foam core and epoxy resin-based laminates have a fairly low thermal deformation point, and if painted dark colors can distort in sunlight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-12-2009
Hunter 33.1

NolaSafari is on a distinguished road
In Florida definitely a light color. I spoke with a Coast Guard pilot who did not like white boats because they blended in with the white caps during heavy weather. BTW my boat is white and will be repainted white, the heat here in New Orleans is just to much for dark colors. I made the mistake of painting the non skid on an oDay 25 I rebuilt years ago light gray and it was to hot to walk on bare footed in the summer. It was repainted quickly.

Last edited by NolaSafari; 06-12-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2009

Hmmm. Yes the boat IS epoxy resin. I REALLY don't want to do white but maybe navy is not the way to go. If you are familiar with Awlgrip's Marlin blue, I wonder if that would be too dark???

Quote:
painting the non skid on an oDay 25 I rebuilt years ago light gray and it was to hot to walk on
Double Hmmmm. I was thinking of blue hull with a white deck and light gray nonskid. That may be an issue.

Out of curiosity, how dark was your nonskid. Was it similar to Interdeck's gray or was it a true light grey with non-skid added in. The reason I ask is that I have thought Interdeck's grey is a tad on the dark side.
Old 06-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Marlin Blue is pretty dark, especially if you're down in Florida, and have an epoxy resin boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-12-2009

SD,

Would you consider Marlin blue TOO dark. i.e. a no go.

I am OK with a warmer hull as I don't plan on much time in the hulls and the boat is nearly 30 years old so the epoxy resin is quite hard and aged...I don't think it would be as susceptible to softening from heat anymore. Then again, I could be wrong. I don't need a saggy boat
Old 06-13-2009
Hunter 33.1

NolaSafari is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXeVeN View Post
Double Hmmmm. I was thinking of blue hull with a white deck and light gray nonskid. That may be an issue.
It was 1990 and it was the lightest gray Brightside Polyurethane Interlux produced. I would suggest that you do a some testing before you lay down the paint it will save you time and give you peace of mind.

Good Luck
Old 06-13-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaSafari View Post
It was 1990 and it was the lightest gray Brightside Polyurethane Interlux produced. I would suggest that you do a some testing before you lay down the paint it will save you time and give you peace of mind.

Good Luck
Yes, the grays can get surprisingly hot in direct sun. Try to keep it as light as possible -- sometimes this will require blending it a bit with white.

We had gray non-skid on two previous boats and it was fine. But it was a very light gray.

As for the hull, given how you plan to use the boat, I would paint it whatever color you want. There is something very satisfying about indulging your preferred paint scheme. It's not often we used-boat owners get to do that.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-13-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
One disadvantage of painting a white hull dark is any chips in the paint will be very noticable.
Old 06-13-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I am a wee bit partial to red, but that's another story. On the inside of the hull I can feel at least 10* difference in the white strip, and the rest of the hull. We have so much ventilation, and insulation I don't think I would notice the difference in heat, but another boat might.

Imagine is epoxy cold molded, and she has spent nearly 7 years in Florida with nearly half that time in the Bahamas, and S. Florida. 3+ years in the Caribbean before I bought her. I have never noticed a problem with the epoxy, and I have had to do some repairs. Notice...I did say never noticed. Now SD has put fear in me......lololol....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!