Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-12-2009

SiXeVeN is on a distinguished road
Recommend an Ablative bottom paint for FL???

I was looking at Pettit Ultima SR 60 vs Micron 66. I have also gotten a few thumbs up for West Marines PCA Gold. Any others recommended lately? Any advice?

Here's my facts....

She will be in the water ALL THE TIME. No trailering or extended visits on the hard.

Mostly Saltwater. Occationally brackish.

She's a cat so I will have higher speeds ( ) so harder ablatives are OK.

I have previously used Trinidad SR that worked VERY WELL but I am sick of the build up of hard paint. She is getting a fresh sodablasted bottom so I will be changing to ablative.

I DON'T want to have to haul her every 1-2 years. So, an ablative that is good for a few seasons would be great.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2009

Anyone??? I eyes are bleeding from company website info. I need some first hand experience.
Old 07-01-2009

saildork is on a distinguished road
SiXeVeN, I'm surprised no one has responded. Bottom paint is one of the most popular topics around here. Since I'm on a trailer at an inland fresh-water lake, I can't help you much, but I will be interested in some of the responses since I will sail from time to time in the Gulf and other salty sailing grounds.
Old 07-01-2009

jason3317 is on a distinguished road
Micron 66 is a proven multi-season anti-fouling. If you are going to stay in for extended periods of time, you need to consider applying a couple of extra coats over the standard 2 coats, plus additional 'stripe' coats on the water line and leading/trailing edges of the foils.

Since you are blasting, I would recommend using an initial flag coat of a different color than the top coats of anti-fouling to signal when it's time to paint again.
Old 07-01-2009

motion300 is on a distinguished road
Since the bottom will need to be scraped every 3-4 weeks would not a hard paint be more effective ?
Old 07-01-2009

Windborn is on a distinguished road
SiXeVeN,

Our boat sits on a mooring year-round in Coral Harbor in the VI. We did the bottom paint four years ago with 3 coats of Micron 66 over two coats of primer / sealer (different colors). Between a slight current and the boat's dancing, water is constantly moving past the hull to some degree when she's not being sailed.

We saw minimal growth on the hull over the first 3 years - easily taken care of with a quick snorkel / scraper exercise once in a while. This past year, we started seeing a bit more growth (particularly along the waterline - no surprises there), and the sub-color is starting to show in a few places, perhaps 10% of the hull's surface. We will likely haul out and repaint next summer. Although the paint wasn't cheap, five years with probably 8-10 easy scrape jobs over that period seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I'd be interested to hear whether our experience is typical of what other people are seeing with their paint choices.
Old 07-01-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

In Northport due to whatever slime grows on everything know to man

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2009
Custom Member

Stiche is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason3317 View Post
Micron 66 is a proven multi-season anti-fouling. If you are going to stay in for extended periods of time, you need to consider applying a couple of extra coats over the standard 2 coats, plus additional 'stripe' coats on the water line and leading/trailing edges of the foils.

Since you are blasting, I would recommend using an initial flag coat of a different color than the top coats of anti-fouling to signal when it's time to paint again.
Agree almost entirely, but in my experience, the most build up with ablative paints is at the waterline, or at least the upper edge, where the bottom coat is visible. But definitely add extra coats to any leading edge. I use Bottomkote ACT, since I sail in both fresh and saltwater, but Micron 66 is the tops. Just note Micron 66 is salt water only.
Old 07-01-2009

I have heard and read a lot of good reviews on Micron 66. My concern is occationally I sail up one of the local rivers that pour into the Gulf here. The water is mainly brackish but I don't know how Micron 66 would handle that?

Anyone know what happens to Micron 66 in freshwater? I swear people make is sound like it explodes or something
Old 07-01-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
I had Micron CSC on my boat when I purchased it in Wisconsin. 2 coats lasted 3 seasons up there. I could have done a quick touch up, but wanted it to have a solid bottom coat in the waters down here.
When I brought it down to Florida last month, I re-coated with Micron 66. I'll let you know in a year or two what happens. I was told it worked great down here, so that's why I stuck with it. I guess time will tell.

Dave