Diesel tank dirty, clogging filters, 3 days to fix ... best options? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-13-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
Diesel tank dirty, clogging filters, 3 days to fix ... best options?

My engine died on me for the first time 2 days ago. Fuel filters were filthy, switched them out and got running again but then engine died AGAIN about 2 hours later, in a really bad spot ... no more filters, luckily a canadian good samaritan towed me out of trouble and to an anchorage in Nanaimo.

I was running on fuel that had sat all winter. I pumped out all the old fuel, suspended black things in what I pumped out. Tank has no access port but through the fill hole I can see that bottom of tank is dirty with black stuff. Had to get off anchor and to a dock so I filled tank with new fuel (ferrying between boat and fuel dock with dingy), replaced all filters, and engine ran fine for the 20 minutes or so needed.

I have to get back out on the water in 3 days, and I want to fix this as best as I can so I can continue cruising without issues. What would you do?? I have a fuel polishing guy coming monday ... he says this will help (@ $150/hr of course) but I dunno if he'll be able to scrub that much gunk out if there isn't an access port ...

Last edited by FishFinder; 06-13-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2009
all these confusing ropes

dohenyboy is on a distinguished road
I have dealt with this before.
Since there is no access port, you have to expect that the tank has never been cleaned out
The best solution is to cut the access hole and fit on a cover. You would install nut plates underneath the circumference of the hole with rivets, so you could attach the cover. You would have to clean out the tank very well to get all the metal shavings.
But sounds like you may not want to get into this at the moment.
So, if you agitate the crud on the bottom of the tank, before and during the polishing, you will get a lot of it.
Take lots of extra filters, because it will come back.
A third way to more or less solve it is to install a "day tank" above the engine. The day tank can have a big access port for cleanout. You pump the fuel from your regular tank to the day tank with a fillter in between. Then you have a new, clean tank which you know has clean fuel. You can take a wood dowel and mark it as a dipstick so you can check the tank level.
By switching hoses around, you can use the new filter you installed to polish fuel yourself.
Old 06-13-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds like you need to get rid of the water in your fuel tank. If you've got that much "algae" growing in the tank, you've got a fair bit of water in the bottom of it. I hope the Fuel polisher will remove the water as well as polishing your fuel. If not, you have to drain off the bottom of the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-13-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
This is an argument for NEVER putting fuel in your tank without adding stabilizer and algae treatment.
Old 06-13-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I always use a filter as well when filling up my tank. It takes a little while longer because you have to wait for the fuel to go through the filter and through the funnel so it adds time. Also some people call it excessive but I would rather be excessive and have water free tanks! Also it is a sailboat so so it's not like we are filling up every week
Old 06-13-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Had a similiar problem. My wife, and I pulled both tanks, and all lines. Cleaned the tanks by hand, and blew out all the lines with a compressor.....i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!

Old 06-13-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
rig up a portable metal tank with a hose connection that you can gravity feed the engine. then you can work on the tank problem later. (imho)

my current "project"!

Last edited by deniseO30; 06-13-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: quess it was too easy a suggestion
Old 06-13-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I agree about the access ports needing to be installed, but in the short run hopefully the polisher will get you going. They are not cheap but I would consider putting a Racor dual filter set up on, that way if one clogs you just flip the handle and you are up and going again. You can then change the clogged filter when convenient. They always clog at the worst time, the peace of mind is worth the $$ to me.

West Marine: MAX Turbine Series Fuel/Water Separators Product Display

You can get these for much less if you search.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-13-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
I looked today, there is clearance above tank to get a drill and jigsaw in to cut a 6" access port, if I can get my hands on a saw and a port (I guess I need a metal one?) I could put one in quickly, scrub away and then the fuel polishing guys could come in and clean out all the shavings etc. My understanding is tank has to be completely drained and vented for a while though before cutting ...

Last edited by FishFinder; 06-13-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Well do what you will... We changed out my tank in 2 evenings total of about 4 hrs work! out with the old in the new! Love your old tank/s???

IMHO I'll never understand why we are all so attached to old tanks! good luck.

my current "project"!