Deck Repair - how to cut hole for chainplate - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2009 Thread Starter
Barking Dog

Deck Repair - how to cut hole for chainplate

I just repaired by deck this weekend, which included making a 4x4 non-cored section for the chainplates. What is the best method and tools to re-cut the hole for the chainplate?

Craig
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2009

A dremel tool works great using a cutting bit. But the problem is going to be aligning the chain plates properly unless you made a template before hand. If a template was not made before hand you can use duck tape on the underside and fill from the top with a silica compound where you over cut.

When I re-bedded the chain plates on my islander I left them attached and poured around them. As the process begins to harden they can be tapped out if desired. Made for a solid bedding and sealed fit.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-16-2009
Telstar 28

A router works quite well too.

Sailingdog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

Both a dremel or a router would work depending on how much room you have to work with. The problem is going to be proper location of the hole. I would mark the location inside the boat using the chainplate as a guide. Then use an extra long 1/8 inch drill bit to drill holes at each end of the mark. Put a little grease at the midpoint of your index finger and thumb, and bend the bit to guide it alongside the bulkhead. This way you can ensure that the hole you cut is directly above the bulkhead and the correct angle through the deck.

Edit: Make sure you bed the chainplates properly with butyl tape.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"

Last edited by US27inKS; 06-16-2009 at 11:09 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-16-2009
Telstar 28

don't forget to countersink/chamfer the top edge of the chainplate hole, so the butyl tape will have a nice place to form a decent o-ring type seal

Sailingdog

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2009 Thread Starter
Barking Dog

Thanks for your help. Here's my plan.

To make the hole, I am going to use my drill for the ends and my Fein multimaster for the plunge cut on the straight parts. I am going to use my dremel with a 1/4 inch sanding barrel if and as necessary to clean up anything that needs it.

I am then going to use the sanding barrel on the dremel to chamfer the top of the hole and use butyl tape to seal.

Good Old Boat had an article from Don Casey about 2 months ago where he raised the chainplate hole off the deck by building a mold out of clay and filling with glass and epoxy. He basically built a small 4x4 inch platform around the chainplate about 1/2 -3/4 inch high. This way any rain water running down the deck will go around the whole thing and not even test how well the sealant is working. I may try this. Stay tuned.

Craig

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.