Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2009

OhioTom is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke DS-5 help

Help,

I have a very old Westerbeke DS-5 single cylinder 5 hp diesel inboard that doesn't run. Its actually missing some parts (air cleaner cover is the big one) and I can't find replacement parts for this model anywhere as I believe it hasn't been built in the last 30 odd years.

I'm considering ripping it out, glassing over all the associated through hulls and control mount holes and bolting on an outboard.

Does anyone know anything at all about this engine, where I can find the parts, and whether I should even bother with it?

If I were to repower - which I doubt I could afford or justify for a $2000 boat - what engine would anyone recommend?

BTW the boat is a 1976 Soverel 26 - disp. 4800 lbs.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2009
Retired and happy

Leither is on a distinguished road
As you will no doubt already be aware, none of the usual searches for parts for this engine come up with anything useful and it looks to me like your outboard option would be the best way to go. Re-engining with another inboard is likely to be more expensive and complicated.

Good luck

Stuart

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky - I left my shoes and socks there, I wonder if they're dry?
Old 06-17-2011

Johnhr is on a distinguished road
5hp westerbeke

Anythony keats marine in wheatly Ontario has parts google them for there website. I have the same engine they told me a complete rebuild may be difficullt but they have most parts.

Sail on Simcoe
Old 06-17-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
there seems to be a good website for Soverel 26s. You may have a nicer boat then you think! The Soverel 26 Owners Web Site Resources page

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-17-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
oops on the size of the pages sorry bout that!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2011

richardinhingham is on a distinguished road
Soverel 26's are still hot PHRF boats. Replacing with an outboard is going to help you in racing, or in selling to a racer. That boat might be more valuable than you think--definitely worth doing some work to repower.

He not busy being born is busy dying
Old 02-26-2012

Johnhr is on a distinguished road
DS5 westerbeke parts

I have one of these engines and I found out that these engines were built by Petter engines and marininised by westerbeke I found the parts I needed through stanionary engine parts in Britain the model # I believe is ABW1 and all parts can be mailed to you they have alot of information and online service manuals.