Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2009

VidadeOro is on a distinguished road
My favourite station is Ch.71 "Watercolours" After a work day, it is nice to flip it on, grab a Rum and Coke and sit in the cockpit. (I live aboard and have done so since 1997)
Regarding the Antenna. I got a kit unit from Clarion (Can't remember the model) but it attaches to my Alpine CDA 105 Deck. The aeriel is a little round thing that is magnetic on the back side and with some sealant, it could be perfect for out-door use. However, as I have a solid fg boat with no wood in the deck, I can receive a decent signal with the ant. mounted under the deck. (located aft in back of chart table area. This keeps if far away from my compass.
I am advised that wood will affect the signal. I have tried the aerial in different places and it works fine under the dodger on the outside of the cabin (aft)
One thing I did notice that seemed a little funny was that on one late afternoon and well into the evening, I lost all signal. It was cloudy but no rain. As I have only had this unit for a couple of weeks, I did not know if weather of this type would interfere or not.
Regards
Ron
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgamble View Post
I have the Express RC unit but I'm nearly positive in contains the same car-made antenna - originally I had it inside the cabin on a starboard shelf/cabinet, and reception would be sketchy - very hit and miss. I would then toss it outside one of my hatches and loop it around a hand hold - great reception but hardly attractive. My yard had mentioned people having success mounting it in their seahood so it gave me an idea - I found an access point in the ceiling of one of my cabinets to the mounting area near one of my starboard winches and I tried mounting it in that space and have since had no problems with reception at all. It is just the deck fiberglass between the antenna and the sky and no problems. I would just suggest trying and experimenting with different nooks and cranny's on the boat and you may be able to forgo the mounting/wiring of the external antenna.
Thanks for the reply. What is a seahood? I'm trying to picture what you are talking about.

Regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 06-17-2009

capttb is on a distinguished road
Seahood is a cover over the companionway sliding hatch. Re: The photo of my ant- That's sunny Avalon on Catalina Island on May 30, we were there all week and it was cold and drizzle, Actually that's the quarry on left side and Avalon blurry on the right.