SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I just put in Sirius satellite radio - yippie!!

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  capttb 
#1 ·
We already had a "Sirius Ready" radio that needed another receiver hooked to it. I bought the receiver and eagerly headed to the boat to hook it up, thinking that there might be an installation snag. Within 5 minutes of going online to pay my $12.95/month for the everything package, I was listening to channel 31, the Margaritaville channel.

My wife is really looking forward to listening to it, so we are both psyched.

I still have to get a better antenna. The dashboard antenna just barely picks up the signal from inside the boat - through the headliner and deck above. Does anyone have an antenna recommendation for picking up the signal through the deck? Or should I run an antenna outside to the dinghy davits?

Does anyone have a favorite channel?

#4 ·
I installed the Terk XM5 antenna for my XM radio - I found a good deal on ebay. (30 bucks) It works great. We sail on an inland lake with lots of cliffs - have yet to loose a signal with it mounted on the stern rail.

I'm 91.5% sure the antennas are interchangeable XM <--> Sirius.

#5 ·
I have access between the top of one of my cabinet liners and the deck and was able to slide the antenna in there (same access area to get to backing plates) and secured it w/3M velcro. It has no problem picking up the signal through the layer of fiberglass unless you're sitting right over it. I looked at the marine mount as an alternative but like to keep the deck and cockpit as clutter free as possible. I've also heard people have success in installing it under their seahood. Just a thought.

Channel 51 in the mornings - Coffeehuse - mostly acoustic, mellow stuff by great artists.

Channel 45 during the day - The Spectrum

And I always tune into a Red Sox game when they're playing...

#8 ·
drganble,

What antenna so you use that goes through all that. The SIR-CL1 (made for magnet mount on a car) has a patchy signal.

I have a similar setup. The radio is on a shelf that is right below the deck. There's enough room for the antenna right there, and I wouldn't have to get an outdoor antenna, run the cables and mount it to (and clutter) the davits.

Regards

#7 ·
Very nice antenna cozy. I'm curious what's under it though, no freudian slip intended.

And where was that shot taken? Nice fog and hills and draggin-the-dink shot.

#11 ·
My favourite station is Ch.71 "Watercolours" After a work day, it is nice to flip it on, grab a Rum and Coke and sit in the cockpit. (I live aboard and have done so since 1997)
Regarding the Antenna. I got a kit unit from Clarion (Can't remember the model) but it attaches to my Alpine CDA 105 Deck. The aeriel is a little round thing that is magnetic on the back side and with some sealant, it could be perfect for out-door use. However, as I have a solid fg boat with no wood in the deck, I can receive a decent signal with the ant. mounted under the deck. (located aft in back of chart table area. This keeps if far away from my compass.
I am advised that wood will affect the signal. I have tried the aerial in different places and it works fine under the dodger on the outside of the cabin (aft)
One thing I did notice that seemed a little funny was that on one late afternoon and well into the evening, I lost all signal. It was cloudy but no rain. As I have only had this unit for a couple of weeks, I did not know if weather of this type would interfere or not.
Regards
Ron

#13 ·
Seahood is a cover over the companionway sliding hatch. Re: The photo of my ant- That's sunny Avalon on Catalina Island on May 30, we were there all week and it was cold and drizzle, Actually that's the quarry on left side and Avalon blurry on the right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.