Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2009

RhosynMor is on a distinguished road
the dangers of anchoring!

A cautionary tale; ( a little long)
SO there I was ( as all good stories begin) working my part time job, when I get a call from the annapolis harbormaster - Someone has plowed into your boat- Gulp, I dash off, into the dinghy to find be boat about 100 meters from where I parked it on back creek. The transom is about 10 feet from the bow of the boat behind me. The 50 lb Delta is oviously not holding, there is a large paint scrape on the chain ( I had about 65 feet 3/8 BBB out) the bow light is broken, lifleline broken, and a large scrape down the port side. (I presume that the vessel that hit me pulled my chain) soo.. I put the 35lb plow in the dinghy on 100 feet of rode and row it out. THe plan being to at least stop the dragging while I sort everything out... Get back into Rhosyn Mor and start the engine so that I can back down on the plow and set it, go and pick up the delta, release the plow and re-anchor.... put the engine in gear... thump thump clunk clunk, oh S**t.. the plow is now dragging as well, and I am now 6 feet from the other boat and no engine, its now 7 at night. THinking that this was not a good time to lose the tranny I go down to the engine room and to my joy discover that the bolts on the drive saver ( which I have never checked ) have fallen out- an easy fix .. But I am still dragging! so into the sail locker I go and pull out the 40 lb danforth, row that out on 200 feet of rode, get my neighbor to pull back on it with his dink, and we finally set! also put out a 18 lb danforth at 90 degrees to counter the expected windshift.
The Gentleman who plowed into Rhosyn had reported it to the harbormaster, so I have to give him credit for that, an old person about 75 YO, I am not too worried about the scratch, he is going to replace the bow light, and I have spare lifelines aboard.
THe moral of this is to check ALL things regularly and carry lots of anchors and enough rode to deploy them.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Wow. Sorry to hear about that mess. Funny how problems always seem to crop up simultaneously.

Mistakes happen -- kudos to the guy for coming forward and owning up. Glad you got it sorted out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, was your boat on an anchor, unattended?? Is it a marked anchorage area or did you have a dayshape hoisted? How deep is the creek there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2009

RhosynMor is on a distinguished road
Back creek is a designated anchorage, no dayshape needed, yes the boat was unattended, but I do liveaboard, work part time 2 blocks away.
creek there is 12 feet deep
Old 06-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
UGH... sorry to hear you got hit. What was the guy's excuse???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhosynMor View Post
Back creek is a designated anchorage, no dayshape needed, yes the boat was unattended, but I do liveaboard, work part time 2 blocks away.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2009
Apropos of Nothing

painkiller will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I've never seen a yacht show a day shape. Anywhere.
Old 06-17-2009

lcohan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Back creek is a designated anchorage, no dayshape needed, yes the boat was unattended
If you check the harbor chart, you'll see that Back Creek is not an official Special Anchorage Area (SAA). There are some of those SAA's out in the Severn River, but not in the Creek. (You can check it online by clicking on NOAA and zooming in to that area -- you'll need to keep re-centering the chart on Annapolis as you zoom.)

For those of you not familiar with that Creek, note on the chart linked above how many piers are shown on the shoreline. There are hundreds of large boats that live on that creek.

The fact that the Annapolis Harbormaster *allows* anchoring there does not make it an SSA -- meaning that you do not need to display the proper anchor shapes and lights. The COLREGS Rule 30 (g) states "A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule". SSA's are always shown on charts in purple ink. (I agree with PainKiller that I've never seen an anchor ball used by a yacht on the Chesapeake Bay, though.)

I'll make an educated guess -- without any facts. Given you had bow light damage, I'll assume that the other boat snagged your rode with his keel. When that happens, the anchored boat is quickly drawn to the moving vessel because it is being pulled by the bow.

Why would someone run into your anchor rode? Well, most of the navigable water in that area of Back Creek is, by careful measurement, about 250 feet wide from marina pier to marina pier. Perhaps not you, but many transient boats place their anchor in the Creek and then put out, say 65 feet of rode in addition to their 40' boat length. When the westerly wind pipes up and the rodes stretch out, much of the width of the Creek is taken up by the maze of anchored boats. All is takes is an unexpected boat coming out of a marina with "right-of-way" (on the right) to give a boat transiting the Creek real problem of not having any good options.

And let's not forget the COLREGS Rule 9 (g) "Any vessel shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid anchoring in a narrow channel." I'm not sure how the maritime courts would define a narrow channel, but one the width of Back Creek would rate high on my list ... Especially since I often see vessels anchored smack between a pair of red and green buoys marking a channel in front of Bert Jabin's. Those of us that draw >= 7 feet have to go through those buoys.

RhosynMor, I'm not, repeat not, saying that the incident was your fault. Hitting an anchored vessel is usually the fault of the vessel underway -- like a rear-ender in the car world. But for those of us that travel Back Creek frequently, there is another side of the issue.
Old 06-18-2009

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
The dangers of anchoring in Back Creek

I think the title of the post says it all. Due the to traffic I'd say Back Creek is a dangerous place the anchor. I wont go as far as to say it was RhosynMor's fault.

I've seem people with day shapes on the Chesapeake but it's not very common - mostly on larger boats that need to anchor in deeper water.

Last edited by SteveInMD; 06-18-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2009

windship has a little shameless behaviour in the past
What is the bottom like there?
Old 06-18-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
I've never seen a yacht show a day shape. Anywhere.
Here you go, Pain:

We don't hoist it all the time, but in tight areas with lots of powerboats, we usually do.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT