Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
dock line length

I ordered 100' of 3 strand nylon for dock lines. These lines will be carried on board for transients and dinner destinations. I wanted to know if there was a rule of thumb for finished length before I cut and splice one end of them. 4x25' seems like plenty to me. Is there a chance I could get a 5th line out of them to use as a spring? I didn't think a 20' line would be long enough for a spring though. That leaves me with 4x18 and a 25' spring with room to splice. Does this sound good, or should I just make 4 at 25' long and be done?

I know this isn't a very technical question, but I'm pretty bored at work.
Old 06-17-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
It may not be a technical question but sailnet will be able to turn it into a debate with many technical answers
Old 06-17-2009
Sea Dweeb

RanAweigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwuffles View Post
It may not be a technical question but sailnet will be able to turn it into a debate with many technical answers
Yup!

For your purpose.
Bow line, stern line and a couple of springs and be done with it.
Old 06-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IMHO, you'd probably be better off with three 14' dock lines and two 24' ones. The breast lines generally don't have to be that long, but the spring lines often need to be longer. The ten feet unaccounted for will handle most of the splice length.

If you're going to go with four lines, two 20' and two 30' lines might make more sense than four 25' lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here.

I find lines less than 25' or so to be almost worthless. Even when we had a 24 footer, the 15 and 20' docklines we had always seemed to come up short.

I would go with 4 x 25' -- these should be fine as docklines. I would not try for the 5th line, especially when you consider that they will actually come up a fair bit shorter when you splice the eyes.

For spring lines, I think you want them to be more in the neighborhood of 30-35'.

Try to give them the biggest spliced eye practical, which makes it easier to "dip the eye".

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
With a larger boat, I'd agree, but with the OP's 25' boat, I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here.

I find lines less than 25' or so to be almost worthless. Even when we had a 24 footer, the 15 and 20' docklines we had always seemed to come up short.

I would go with 4 x 25' -- these should be fine as docklines. I would not try for the 5th line, especially when you consider that they will actually come up a fair bit shorter when you splice the eyes.

For spring lines, I think you want them to be more in the neighborhood of 30-35'.

Try to give them the biggest spliced eye practical, which makes it easier to "dip the eye".

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
A smaller boat in a larger slip may actually need longer lines if you have to dock in a wide/long slip instead of one more appropriate to your boat. Also, lines too long are much less a problem than lines too short, especially if you have only one set. In my opinion, you need 6 lines, 2 bow, 2 stern, and 2 spring. Spring lines would want to be about 30 ft. minimum (assuming you have midship cleats, if not add another 5 ft.). 20 ft. minimum on bow and stern lines, but 25 ft. gives added insurance.
Old 06-17-2009

sck5 is on a distinguished road
yup. 35 ft. spring lines are a nice thing. there WILL be a time when the extra 5 feet will be what you need to tie up your boat properly. And if you are missing that 5 ft. you will curse yourself for not paying the extra $10 (or however much it is) for a line that is the right length.

Also, there are times it is nice to be able to double the line back to your boat so you can cast off from your own deck and pull the line back on board without needing to get on the dock.
Old 06-17-2009

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Just to throw in a wrinkle.

I do not like eye splices in a dock line. The line should be belayed so that it can be adjusted from onboard. Or in the oft chance that the boat adjacent to you in the slip catches fire, you can cast off without getting on the dock.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-18-2009
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
I am with you on that. Despite the ubiquity, I have never seen any reason for an eye splice on a dock line. I think a cleat knot is more convenient and ultimately at lest as strong. Then again, I use bowlines for all my halyards, so maybe I am just too old fashioned.