SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cheap Grill Mounts?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  IslanderGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Do you really want to scrimp on the mounts for the most important piece of equipment on the boat? :cool:

In all seriousness, though, there should be plenty of options for mounting to the rail; shouldn't be too expensive. Hopefully someone more helpful than me will have some specifics for you.

#3 ·
You can make one pretty inexpensively from two bolts and some 3/4" thick starboard or wood and bolt it to your cockpit rail

#5 ·
MGM—

Considering that the grill mounts are located beneath the grill, and separated from any flame by at least two layers of stainless steel, it should not be an issue to make a grill mount out of starboard or wood.

It would be relatively easy and cheap to make, by taking couple of 2" x 2" x 4" pieces of starboard or wood and drilling holes in them so that they will bolt to the bottom of the grill, which has holes for machine bolts to drop down through, and then drill a 1" or 7/8" hole through the two pieces and then cut them in half horizontally, so that the machine bolts will act to clamp the two pieces over the stern cockpit railing.

#7 ·
Nah, there are many, many more extreme examples out there...

As for the wood bracket burning, most Weber grills have a wooden handle on them, and they do not catch fire. A friend lost the handle on his boat grill and replaced it with a wooden one and it worked fine as well. Come ot think of it, I need to make myself a new handle as mine also came loose and dropped in the drink a while back. I have been using vise grips on the little bolt sticking up. Now that's penny pinching on a grill. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.