Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Slideing gooseneck vs cunningham

Hi All...

I bought my boat last September and am still figuring out how the PO had it set up. I am trying to modify the rigging for maximum advantage in racing.

Currently, my boat has a track on the mast and a gooseneck that slides (not very well at all - it binds) up and down along this track. From the bottom of the gooseneck there is a very thin and short line that just dangles there with nothing to attach to. The main sail is equipped with a cringle for a cunningham, but no cunningham I can locate.

I am trying to decide how best to fix this. I have at least two options:

1 - Replace both the gooseneck and track with a system that allows the gooseneck to snap into place along the track, locking it in place, and rig a conventional cunningham (with a purchase) through the cringle.

2 - Keep the existing track and gooseneck (or maybe find a gooseneck that does not bind on the track) and run a 2:1 or maybe 3:1 purchase from the bottom of the gooseneck down.

The mast is deck stepped.

Setting aside the fact that the existing gooseneck tends to hang up on the slide, does it make a difference whether I tighten the luff from below at the gooseneck itself or at the cringle?

Snaping the gooseneck into place and using the cringle would create a small area of sail disruption at the tack, but not move the height of the boom.

Having the gooseneck slide avoids a bag in the sail at the tack, but then the height of the boom changes. I am not sure there is a disadvantage to that and I am leaning toward this system.

Either way, I need to mount the bottom of the down haul / cunningham somewhere, so the other concern is mounting something that creates vertical stress to the cabin top. This is a problem with whichever system I pick, so I would appreciate comments about that as well. Is it a valid concern?

Of course either way, I can bring it aft to the cockpit. I may or may not, as the cockpit is extremely small.

Thanks very much for any suggestions! I plan to do this over thr weekend. Got a nice race Saturday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2009

lshick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to lshick
Consider that the gooseneck is one of the most heavily-loaded bits of moving equipment on your boat. Any choices you make should be made in the direction of stronger.
Old 06-17-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
I have a sliding gooseneck on my Helms 25. The downhaul line is secured at the base of the mast in the same mast slide, not the deck.
1976 #552
Old 06-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would suggest affixing the gooseneck to the mast in a set location and then setting up a proper cunningham. If you mount the cunningham or downhaul hardpoint to the mast step, there will be no effect on the cabintop.

Having a fixed height boom makes it easier to setup and use a boom vang. It also makes it less problematic if you decide to run the halyards and other control lines aft, since some lines, like the outhaul and reefing lines, would be affected when the boom changes height.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I would suggest affixing the gooseneck to the mast in a set location and then setting up a proper cunningham. If you mount the cunningham or downhaul hardpoint to the mast step, there will be no effect on the cabintop.
Makes sense, but the mast step is completely covered by the mast itself. Should I add some kind of ring or bail to the actual mast?
Old 06-17-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
Can you attach a fixed jam type cleat to the base of the gooseneck track? Or if your using blocks for mechanical advantage, a ring fitting. I guess we should ask what type of slide do you have. There are many different types of cars made for slides that will solve your problem.
1976 #552
Old 06-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They make plates that can fit on the mast step for just this sort of purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Makes sense, but the mast step is completely covered by the mast itself. Should I add some kind of ring or bail to the actual mast?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne25 View Post
Can you attach a fixed jam type cleat to the base of the gooseneck track? Or if your using blocks for mechanical advantage, a ring fitting. I guess we should ask what type of slide do you have. There are many different types of cars made for slides that will solve your problem.
Well the track is a Tee track, similar to what a genny car rides on. It does not extend down very far below where the goose neck usually sits. Someone else suggested the track, maybe I can find a ring that would slide in the track.

What did you mean by a car could solve the issue?

SD, I have never seen an unstepped macs, so forgiv this dumb question, but does the mast somehow sit on that plate? The impression I had is that the mast step is like a shoe that sticks up, and the mast site on top of it, and the step comes up into the mast a bit to prevent it from sliding around on the deck. But I could be wrong, as I have never seen how it works.
Old 06-18-2009
Telstar 28

Depends on the boat. But many have a mast step that is essentially a plate that the mast sits on. For instance, this is the mast step on my boat.

It is basically a three-sided box that the mast slides into. It has plates attached so I can use blocks to lead lines aft, and has two holes for safety pins that prevent the mast base from moving forwards.

On a lot of boats, you could mount that plate where the mast sits on the cabintop by loosening the shrouds and stays a couple turns...since it is only 1/16" thick or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
SD, I have never seen an unstepped macs, so forgiv this dumb question, but does the mast somehow sit on that plate? The impression I had is that the mast step is like a shoe that sticks up, and the mast site on top of it, and the step comes up into the mast a bit to prevent it from sliding around on the deck. But I could be wrong, as I have never seen how it works.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-18-2009
Hinterhoeller HR28

pvanv1 is on a distinguished road
I have a sliding gooseneck on my HR28. That was part-and-parcel with the old-school roller booms of the 60's. Wouldn't replace it like that today, but since it's existing gear, we use it.

We don't use the roller function, but the sliding gooseneck with downhaul is a good thing -- to allow our Dutchman to be tensioned at rest, yet relaxed when the sail is hoisted. We release the vang and downhaul, hoist fully, and then tension the downhaul to adjust luff tension, just like a cunningham.

FWIW, We do run McLube on the gooseneck track, as it isn't as low-friction as it could be.
Buffalo, NY USA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.