Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2009
S/V Sabbatical

Snboard976 is on a distinguished road
Mizzen Mount for a Wind Generator

I just purchased an Air Breeze wind generator. I am planning to install it 2/3 of the way up the mizzen mast.

I have seen a few mounts for sale on the internet and was wondering if anyone had a mount that they would recommend.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Exactly how do you plan on installing it 2/3 of the way up the mizzen mast. The wind genny has to be able to rotate 360˚, to take advantage of the wind properly. Mounting atop the mizzen would make far more sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2009
S/V Sabbatical

I agree that it would be ideal to have the wind gen be able to rotate 360 degrees. I don't really like the idea of the top of the mizzen mast because it would require removing a TV antenna and fabricating a piece on the top of the mast to make it flat. It is also more difficult to install and service and puts more stress on the rig.

I found one custom design mount that allows 360 degrees of rotation on the front of the mizzen mast. (photo below)

There are only two photos of commercially available mounts that I could find. One is the vibrating isolating mount from SV hotwire (makers of the the KISS.)

The other is from Emarineinc.com.

There is another mount sold by hamiltonferris, but I don't know the specs on it.

The KISS mount doesn't allow 360 degree rotation, but it would be nice to reduce the vibration in the rig. It is also the least expensive option.

The Emarine mount does allow complete rotation, but it doesn't look as robust and it is much more expensive.

Still looking for that perfect mount that will allow 360 degree rotation on the front of the mizzen mast and someone that has seen it in action.
Old 06-18-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That adds a lot more weight aloft, but should be doable. The blade diameter is only 46", so a three foot high clearance on the mount would allow it to rotate 360˚.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-18-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Exactly how do you plan on installing it 2/3 of the way up the mizzen mast. The wind genny has to be able to rotate 360˚, to take advantage of the wind properly. Mounting atop the mizzen would make far more sense.
Gee... Dog... I hate to always be arguing with you but...... Many people (Nauticats especially) mount on the mizzen. When you think about it the answer is simple. Except for a broad reach or down wind the only place the boat won't be pointed very close to the wind is when at dock when you have Shore Power any way. On a mooring or at anchor close to perfect. That's where I'll do my.... agreed - Less Than Perfect - install myself one of these days - with BiG Solar Panels on the top of the davits to add to the amps.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 06-30-2009
S/V Sabbatical

Installation of Mizzen Mount Bracket

I decided to go with a bracket from Hamilton Ferris that will allow my Air Breeze to rotate 360 degrees. Now the question is, is it okay to have the stainless steel bracket in direct contact with the aluminum mast? Ditto for the stainless steel screws that will be tapped through the mast and bracket.

s/v Sabbatical Pearson 365 Hull #32

Last edited by Snboard976; 06-30-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2009
Telstar 28

I'd put a thin plastic isolation layer between the bracket and the mast, think milk carton plastic... and use LanoCote or TefGel on the screws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snboard976 View Post
I decided to go with a bracket from Hamilton Ferris that will allow my Air Breeze to rotate 360 degrees. Now the question is, is it okay to have the stainless steel bracket in direct contact with the aluminum mast? Ditto for the stainless steel screws that will be tapped through the mast and bracket.

Telstar 28
New England