Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-18-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
You need to know what you are replacing. The light may be a replacement some time in the boats life. If you are not positive what it is, plan on a second trip.
Old 06-18-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
The Series 32 is coast-guard approved. I just bought their stern light to replace my yellowed, cracked, & painted-over stern light.

How did you attach it securely? It doesn't really have mounting screws, just that one expanding bushing you screw into, so it seems like it might need some kind of adhesive too...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForCruiser View Post
How did you attach it securely? It doesn't really have mounting screws, just that one expanding bushing you screw into, so it seems like it might need some kind of adhesive too...
I actually beded it in butyl tape. I do have a concern that the heat will dry out the tape but this is in a non-critical location for leaking, so I can just fix it if it leaks (ie, try another beding compound).

I did speak with David at Aqua Signal about mounting. He insisted that the expanding bushing works very well, but he said if I was not comfortable with it that I could replace the expander with a bolt and just through bolt it.

I used the expander and it does hold very well. I did a bi color at the bow and a light at the stern. The only change I would like to see is a bolt hole on each side of the stern light, and maybe a second one on the bow light, but they do seem to be holding just fine.
Old 06-18-2009

sahara is on a distinguished road
I have an Orca Green Marine Trianchor light with strobe. It is coast guard approved, draws less than 1 amp. I've been very satisfied.

Not cheap, but very well made.

Orca Green Marine Technology - LED Lighting
Old 06-18-2009

eolon is on a distinguished road
The Bebi lights I mentioned earlier meet COLREG specs. They are not USCG certified, but then they don't have to be in order for us to use them. -my kerosene lantern meets the specs for an anchor light, but I highly doubt it is certified.

By the way, the USCG does not test anything. That is all done by an outside laboratory, which you pay for. The person wanting his article certified has to pass all the tests, and then pay for the USCG to visit the manufacturing facility for quality checks on a routine basis. Bebi is in Fiji, so although I'm sure the Testers would love it, it doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense. This may explain why some companies sell LED mast lights for $400, though

Best Regards,

e

.::.
Old 06-25-2009

Has anyone seen a LED anchor light with a strobe? I know I can get LED tricolor/anchor/strobe, but I don't feel I need tri-color at the mast head. I could get that and just not use the tricolor but that is a waste of money.
Old 06-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I disagree. When sailing in heavy seas, especially outside of coastal conditions, the masthead tricolor is a very valuable piece of gear to have aboard. It increases your visibility, since in heavy seas, the deck, level lights may be obscured by the wave crests until someone is almost on top of you. A mast top tricolor is visible a long way away.

IMHO, all sailboats, except inland small lake daysailers, really need both deck level and a mast top tricolor. The reason for this is simple, the deck level lights are necesary when in close traffic situations like in a busy harbor, especially with small powerboats, which don't generally look up...the mast top tricolor is a necessity when sailing in open waters, especially in heavy seas, where deck level lights may be obscured as I said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Has anyone seen a LED anchor light with a strobe? I know I can get LED tricolor/anchor/strobe, but I don't feel I need tri-color at the mast head. I could get that and just not use the tricolor but that is a waste of money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
IMHO, all sailboats, except inland small lake daysailers, really need both deck level and a mast top tricolor. The reason for this is simple, the deck level lights are necesary when in close traffic situations like in a busy harbor, especially with small powerboats, which don't generally look up...the mast top tricolor is a necessity when sailing in open waters, especially in heavy seas, where deck level lights may be obscured as I said above.
Okay, you convinced me. I ordered one of the Argo Navis LX Series TriAnchor lights pictured earlier in this thread. I bought one with the tri color, anchor and strobe, and with the photocell to turn the anchor off at dawn.

It arrived Friday. Its a very, very nice light. Its small, relatively light and completely sealed. Sailor's Solutions included a bracket, but I bought the other type of bracket just in case (they said I can return whichever I don't use).

I am, however, disappointed in the strobe. I was expecting it to have a super bright flash tube that could be seen on Mars. I figured that in the worse of circumstances, if I need to be located and rescued, I could turn it on to help people find me. That said, the "strobe" on this device is not useful. All it does it turn the anchor light on and off. Its no brighter than the anchor light, so its of minimal utility.

This device uses 3 wires, as opposed to the one without the strobe that needs only 2. I have already opened it, stripped back the wires and tested it on a power supply, so I'm pretty much stuck with it. That's fine, I'll install it. I already have the triplex wire for it anyhow.

Other than the strobe issue, I am very happy with it.
Old 06-28-2009

thekeip is on a distinguished road
It is my experience, both directly and from several posts in various forums that at least one of the masthead units, the "ORCA", I believe, can't tolerate a hit from a SSB transmission. Two, that I know of personally have been fried on a Single Handed Transpac race last year.
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Old 06-28-2009
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
The lopolight LED http://www.lopolight.com/ is USCG approved (and expensive) but very rugged.