Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-28-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
" however I think that I read that they [strobes] are illegal offshore"

Either buy a copy of COLREGS or download one for free, it is a reference that every boater should have at hand. (And required onboard larger vessels.)

Strobes are not illegal offshore but strobes generally are considered to be a DISTRESS SIGNAL. Depending on where you are and who sees it, you certainly could be given a summons for making a false distress signal if you were using one simply to make your boat more visible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
Okay, you convinced me. I ordered one of the Argo Navis LX Series TriAnchor lights pictured earlier in this thread. I bought one with the tri color, anchor and strobe, and with the photocell to turn the anchor off at dawn.

It arrived Friday. Its a very, very nice light. Its small, relatively light and completely sealed. Sailor's Solutions included a bracket, but I bought the other type of bracket just in case (they said I can return whichever I don't use).

I am, however, disappointed in the strobe. I was expecting it to have a super bright flash tube that could be seen on Mars. I figured that in the worse of circumstances, if I need to be located and rescued, I could turn it on to help people find me. That said, the "strobe" on this device is not useful. All it does it turn the anchor light on and off. Its no brighter than the anchor light, so its of minimal utility.

This device uses 3 wires, as opposed to the one without the strobe that needs only 2. I have already opened it, stripped back the wires and tested it on a power supply, so I'm pretty much stuck with it. That's fine, I'll install it. I already have the triplex wire for it anyhow.

Other than the strobe issue, I am very happy with it.
The strobe is very, very visible at night... and works quite well IMHO. I have had the OGM Tri-Anchor for over three years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-29-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The strobe is very, very visible at night... and works quite well IMHO. I have had the OGM Tri-Anchor for over three years.
What makes it brighter then the anchor light? It seems to use the same LED emitters...
Old 06-29-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It isn't AFAIK, but the fact that it is intermittent makes it much more noticeable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
What makes it brighter then the anchor light? It seems to use the same LED emitters...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-29-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"What makes it brighter then the anchor light? It seems to use the same LED emitters..."
Personally, I think folks who use the word "strobe" to mean "rapidly flashing LED" should be beaten to death. Slowly and publicly.
A strobe tube is a strobe tube, and LED is an LED, and no matter how you torture an LED, overvolt it, pulse it...it will never have the raw power of an aviation or commercial grade STROBE LIGHT using a real gas discharge tube.

A blinking light may attract attention, that doesn't make it a strobe.

"Buy three, get the fourth one free!" means "25% off when you buy four", there's nothing free about that one either. Same folks, pulling our language and society down the drain. Keelhaul 'em all. Sell the TV rights to Fox.