SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

5-Mast vs 3-Mast

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TheFrog 
#1 ·
I was talking to someone yesterday about a Y-Flyer and he mentioned that it could either be a 3-Mast or a 5-Mast boat. Can anyone tell me what this means?

I thought the Y-Flyer was a Marconi Rig with a single mast and boom? (Maybe I misunderstood him?) :confused:

#2 ·
I was talking to someone yesterday about a Y-Flyer and he mentioned that it could either be a 3-Mast or a 5-Mast boat. Can anyone tell me what this means?

I thought the Y-Flyer was a Marconi Rig with a single mast and boom? (Maybe I misunderstood him?) :confused:
The Y-Flyer is most definitely a single masted boat (18' LOA). However, they may have been referring to the number of stays. A quick check on the Y-Flyer class web site reveals the following specs

Article V - Spars: A. Mast:
  • General - The mast may have a fixed step or may be made to rotate with the sail. Mast jacks are prohibited. The fore and aft location of the mast step may be altered but not to exceed plus or minus 4" from the location on the Plans if necessary to balance the boat; any such alteration to be of a permanent nature. Mast steps which are adjustable under sail are prohibited. Equipment specifically designed to alter the shape of the mast by bending while racing is prohibited.
  • Wooden Mast - Construction optional, but spar stock must be selected with care and the dimensions must not be less than those indicated in the Drawings.
  • Aluminum Mast - An extruded aluminum alloy mast meeting the specifications below may be used. The DP-1 mast section does not meet the following specifications and has been specifically approved as the only exception to these specifications. No continuous stiffening members may be used. Localized stiffeners as pipe spacers or short blocks are permitted under mast tang bolts. Dimensions are in inches except for weight which is in lbs. per foot of section length. Width equals side to side width. Depth equals fore and aft depth, including sail slot. Mast section specifications are as follows:

Side to Side
    Width
    Depth of Mast
    (incl. sail slot)
    Width + DepthWeightWall Thickness
    Minimum2.002.755.00.740.060
    Maximum2.503.626.12NoneNone
    Note: The smaller, lighter sections, for example the Alspar C-1, Helms H-2, Proctor D, YE 2722, W-2, and DP- 1, are only recommended for use with a non-rotating 5-stay rig.
and
Article VII - Rigging: A. Standing Rigging: Only the Youngquist and the 5-stay rig are approved.
  • Chain plates must be located as shown on the Plans. Material is optional.
  • Forestay as shown on Plans - 1/8" wire rope or equivalent. Optional: 1/8" solid. Intersection of forestay and forward face of mast to be between 18' - 0" and 18' - 6" above the deck, measured along the mast.
  • Side shrouds - 1/8" wire rope or equivalent. Optional: 1/8" solid. Main tang bolt, measured along mast must be between 18' - 0" and 18' - 6" above the deck.
  • Spreaders - Required with the 5-stay rig. The centerline of the spreaders must be located within 6" of the projected intersection of the lower side shrouds with the outer side of the mast.
  • Lower side shrouds - may be of 1/16" or heavier wire rope or equivalent but must be led directly from mast to a pair of side chain plates shown on the Plans. It is recommended that the intersection of the shrouds with the outer side of the mast be between 9' - 0" and 10' - 0" above the deck. May be led to either fore or aft side chain plates.
  • Option: The Youngquist mast rig shown on the Plans, jumper stays, 1/8" wire or rod (optional 3/32" or rod must be carefully rigged and maintained) to restrict lateral bending only are permitted.
  • Shrouds and stays adjustable while racing are prohibited. Back stays are prohibited. Both side shrouds may be led to the aft chain plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.