Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-18-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Rotten wood behind the vinyl

New windows are ready so its time to get serious about putting them in... Guess I should have started sooner. Took the vinyl liner down and found some wood that was really not so much wood anymore but more like some kind of foam. I figured I would share some pics since everyone likes to enjoy others misery. Not really that miserable but a lot more rot than I thought there was going to be. About half the staples that held the vinyl up were rusted to dust. Some of them were still pretty solid though and did not want to come out without a fight.

Here is the larger area with the worst of the rot. The water must have gotten in there quite some time ago because it was bone dry and just crumbled apart.

Here is a side view of a trimmed 1x2 that a piece of trim screwed to. i wondered what it was screwed into and kind of figured it was connected with bolts or something through the fiberglass. Nope they used about 2 inch screws that went through the wood block and into the glass behind it. Kind of excessive but maybe they got a deal on bigger screws. Who am I to judge?

So we have the rotten wood out and are trying to find a place that sells marine plywood. I did not think it would be that hard of a thing to find. But places only seem to have half inch and not quarter.

I found out the signifigant other is quite good at scraping wood from fiberglass and not so good at taking out wood plugs or staples. Give her a hammer and crowbar and she is quite happy and thorough! I think she is probly a keeper.

Lessons learned:
1) Its not fun to live on a boat you are remodeling.
2) Get your suppliers straight BEFORE you start taking things apart.

The plan is to get new plywood in and then put mahogany veneer over the thing and make new window trim pieces out of either veneered plywood or actual solid wood. Someone on here said they bought an old desk that supplied enough wood to do thier boat without spending a lot. Once both sides are done I will start cogitating on how to do the top of the cabin. At a loss atm but I was in the same spot a few weeks ago with the windows. Nothing motivates more than the disdainful look of the SO when she looks at the wall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Got the new windows in on the starboard side. I think they look a lot better than the old ones and as a bonus they don't leak. Have the veneer up on the inside but still need to put the trim pieces up. Curtains are being held up with zip ties. Going to give it a week or two before I move on to the port side and see what horrors await under there.

That butyl tape really does a good job of sealing up a window. Got some on the rug but luckily it was a cheap rug so I just got a new one. I will get some more pics up after I get the interior trim in place to cover the bolts and dangling wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Old 06-30-2009
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Ain't rotten wood fun? Nice to see ya tackling the issues on the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.