Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-20-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
well i need some engine help

first its an original 1gm

it has been cranky on starting the last few trips out, ie really need to crank on it. once started it runs great, and will restart pretty well. when it would start it would blow lots of black smoke on start up, but not on a restart. well today i had to get the boat of anchor due to winds, and it would not start. it took me 45 mins of cranking and bleeding and more cranking to get it to start. it stalled when put in gear and yes it was warm, i managed to get it off anchor and when maneuvering over to tie up it died and would not restart. luckly the wind was blowing me to where i wanted to be.

before today it did smoke a little white smoke when running, not visible during the day but the stern light made it visible at night.

i am assuming its my injection pump, the lift pump will put out enough fuel to leak out when i crack the fuel line at the injector. i know the fuel is clean and dry, i dont even get any water in the separator when running so the tank is dry.

when trying to crank with the throttle at idle the motor clanks some, it sounds better when cranking with the throttle at full

any thoughts, and who is cheap to rebuild the injection pump?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2009

75R20 is on a distinguished road
I think that you need to do a little more investagating before you comdem the injection pump. I would start with a compression test and/or a cylinder leakage test before I went any further.
How many hours are on this engine ?
Last maintinence done ?
Good luck

Kary
Old 06-20-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
With all the rain we been having, it may simply be a matter of condensation as the smoke is white.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2009

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road
Did you replace the fuel filters? My engine(2QM15) behaves exactly as you describe if fuel filters are dirty.
Old 06-21-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Might want to replace the banjo washers on the injectors.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 06-21-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I dont know what type of engine you have but trying to start it that much you may have run your battery down. If it does not get a good spin it will not get enough compression and heat to start especially if an older yanmar. Make sure your battery is charged and be careful cranking that much with your fresh water open as you may fill the exhaust with water and back fill the cylinders. Also check to make sure the stop cable is pushed in all the way and the cable did not slip at the engine connection. If it is not reset all the way that also will cause problems. I suspect your battery is low and old. You may want to take it out and go to battery place for a charge and test. that will tell you if you need a new one.
Old 06-21-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
You better check the compression of your engine. If cold start is not possible, most probably it is due to loss of compression.

If you can crank it for 45 minutes, your battery is in good condition.

If it runs without problems after starting, there is nothing wrong with the fuel lines and the injector pump.

The throttle handle generally has no effect during cranking. It only regulates a flywheel which is active when the engine is running.
Old 06-21-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
okay first unknown hours on motor, before sept last year maintenance unknown, sense then its been done. less than 100 hours on impeller, oil, fuel filter etc, the place i get fuel goes thru hundreds of gallons a day, as they fuel the water taxis.

batteries are new this year, and they where fully charged, infact when i went to the boat tonight they still read 12.7.

tonight i
changed the fuel filter again, the old one looked new
tightened every fuel connection, bleed the whole system
took out about 2 cups of fuel out of the water separator it looked perfect

i got it running but it took lots of bleeding, and cranking, it will
start with lots of work, needs to be at full throttle
when it starts, once out of 3 or 4 tries, it will run at 1000 rpm till it starts to pick up, about 3 or 4 seconds, but again it needs full throttle
it will run like a kitten at 2k rpm, try to lower it to idle and it will stall in 5 seconds, it will idle at 1200 rpm.
put it in gear once when at 1500 rpm and it stayed running, but any lower it will stall.
power seems fine it will go way over 3 k when not in gear, but when in gear it maxes about 3k ( unless into head wind ), i run it around 22 to 25k ( before today )
and i was shutting off the water when doing all the cranking
Old 06-21-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Compression?

What is the engine? Did you check the compression yet?
Old 06-21-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
fuel pump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten