SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Good deals on tools. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/55528-good-deals-tools.html)

jephotog 06-21-2009 04:01 AM

Good deals on tools.

Now that I have all of your attention.

What kind of tool kit do I need for a boat? I have all of the above, but my tools are not in the same place. I built my own home and used that small project to rationalize buying every tool. Unfortunately my home is in another state so I do not have all my tools here, I still have a lot here.

What do I need to refurbrish a boat, because most of the boats I am looking at will need some work. Also the local marina has very few powered docks so I assume cordless tools will be in order. What other tools should I have for a 23-27 foot outboard powered sailboat?

Now for the promised good deal on tools; I was in Costco twice this week there is a Dewalt cordless combo pack for sale for or around $350:

2-18v batteries
sawzall
Rotary hammer drill
Skill (type) saw
Rotary zip
I have looked online and do not see these tools so it may only be in store or just my store. It seems like it blows away any other package by about $100.

I am hoping that the purchase of the sailboat will help me rationalize purchase of more tools. I think this setup would be a good start up for boat maintenance. I would like to have a cordless jigsaw and grinder as well but have AC versions of these here in town. Would this set up be a good set of boat tools? What else do I need onboard?

Would this setup be good for onboard maintenance? Whats in your boat tool kit?

scottyt 06-21-2009 05:19 AM

dont be foolish and by dewalt for boat tools. i have rhobe ( sp ? ) and i use them on my real job too, and they hold up fine. i used to use dewalt until i needed a NEW 80 DOLLAR BATTERY every month or 2.

go buy a rhobe kit and the impact gun , total will be around 250 and you will have 4 batteries and 2 chargers. or you can just get the impact for 69 bucks but the extra 31 for 2 batteries and a charger cant be beat. then do sell a right angle grinder but i have a plug in instead

as for the roto zip just go buy a black and decker dremel for 30 bucks, but you need ac, i use an inverter for that part

preservedkillick 06-21-2009 06:51 AM

I'd suggest not buying tools up front, let the project dictate the tools you need, then buy them as the need arises. That dewalt set looks great for light carpentry, unless you're getting into some major demolition work on the boat, many many of the tools in that set won't be that useful. Except for the drill.

If you are planning on significant work, this is a good read:
Pearson Triton #381 Glissando | Tools Used During the Project

sailingdog 06-21-2009 07:55 AM

See my post on a sailor's tool kit here. Mind you, this tool kit is for being able to repair, maintain and modify a sailboat, and if you generally have the marina do the work on your boat, it will be expensive and of little use to you.

jephotog 06-21-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 498552)
if you generally have the marina do the work on your boat, it will be expensive and of little use to you.

No chance there, I can barely afford the boat I am about to buy, let alone having the yard do the work. I am not sure there is even a sailboat yard here in Utah. I will look at the lists, I am sure I have at least one of everything needed. I just would rather have a dedicated set onboard.

I have been wanting a cordless trim saw for a while to break down sheet goods at the lumber yard, for easier transportation. I usually design my project before going to the yard and have them cut the wood to general size and finish up the edge on a table saw at home.

As far as Ryobi vs Dewalt, I have had issues with a bunch of Dewalt corded tools that I bought a decade or so ago, but have had nothing but good results when i got them fixed. Ryobi on the other hand failed on me very quickly. I was part of a flip this house project on a budget. We bought a Ryobi set that was unable to cut well after the first day of use. I swore never to buy Ryobi again.

k1vsk 06-21-2009 11:44 AM

The Perfect and Cheapest Tool set

Now that I have "your attention", your stated purpose is confusing - at one point you said onboard maintenance; elsewhere it is refurbishing. Seems more likely you'll need basic engine, plumbing and electrical tools for general boat work.

sailingdog 06-21-2009 11:49 AM

I bought a Bosch four-piece kit, that came with the circular saw, sawzall, hammer drill, worklight and a free jigsaw. This kit has been worth its weight in gold for all the different projects I've done on the boat with it. I also have a "Dremel" tool clone and a good Hitachi random orbital disc sander that are well worth owning.

The most recent addition to my power tool kit is a fein multimaster. It is a very versatile tool and often allows me to take shortcuts that I wouldn't be able to get away with otherwise.

hellosailor 06-21-2009 06:25 PM

Ryobi apparently is a Chinese product sourced exclusively through Home Depot.

Some years ago I called them because the trigger switch in a cosumer-grade drill broke. Cheap 79c dual-pole dual-action sliding switch to make it go forward/reverse, the kind of thing you can pick up anywhere. Except--Ryobi uses a custom switch, no standard product replaces it. And Ryobi DOESN'T SELL PARTS so I couldn't even buy a genuine one for repair.

Now, I do give them credit because after a couple of phone calls explaining how ridiculous it was to throw away a drill set for a 79 cent switch, they actually sent a new set. Not that these are terribly expensive, and it was a generous thing for them to do. (And the ONLY way they could "fix" the drill!)

But I also have no interest in Ryobi anything, at any price, in the future. DeWalt is, or at least was, way better built. More expensive, yes, but better built and parts are, or at least were, sold the same way that all US power tool companies sold replacement parts.

Unless things have changesd, Ryobi also only sold "consumer" grade drills, nothing that can put out the speed and torque that DeWalt, Milwaukee, and the other "contractor grade" companies did.

But buying a home power tool construction set for a small sailboat? Uhuh, I'd buy one good drill and a good set of screwdrivers, wrenches, and pliers. It is a rare day that you need a Sawzall or other power saw on a boat. A Dremel is way more valuable.

timebandit 06-22-2009 12:12 PM

Before there were power tools there were hand tools.

Hand tools work every where even under water at the equator with no wind.

Unless you are going to work on everyones boat and do every thing marine just bring the tools you need from home and the ones you think you will NEED to matain your boat buy to keep on board.

Sears has good tools that you can buy on Sunday and they will replace broken ones for free(they will not, however, replace ones that refuse to float or get lost)and you can buy just the ones you need. I think you can now buy the Craftsman line at Target but I dont think they have as big a selection of individual tools.

jephotog 06-22-2009 12:51 PM

Bought the tool kit

As K1SVK was astute to point out, my upcoming boat is going to need a bit of a restoration or at least deck re-bedding, possible a lot more. So I am gearing up for a project and was wondering what all I was going to need. I was hoping for support for buying the Dewalt package here but you all are too practical. I have been hanging out on woodworking forums and you are never discouraged from buying more tools there. I should have asked the guy with the Triton project, I counted 6 drills, 3 routers, 4 sanders, and counting.

I have a cordless screw driver but it is in my "other" home, and I needed one here, I also wanted a cordless circular saw, so the Rotary tool is just a nice extra, I do not see needing a sawzall on board, so will sell that tool. I thought the package was like one of the $600 ones I had looked at in the past but it was only a $450 package still $90 less than Amazon's price, I could not pass it up. I like using hand tools but not when it comes to sanding or cutting or grinding or sanding.

I had a good set of mechanics tools, and thought they were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. So I bought one of the big Craftsman kits to get me back on my feet. When I returned to New Orleans I found my tools a little rusty and worse for wear but still there. So I have at least two sets of tools and one already adjusted for a salty environment. I should be able to put together a boat kit without much investment, just needed a list of what to include.