SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hammock Netting ...

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  wind_magic 
#1 ·
Question for all you knot heads ..

I want to make or purchase some heavy duty netting for use in a hammock and I would like to know more about what the best material to use is and which knots to use in its construction. I have been reading a bit about it and it looks like the preferred knot for making fishing nets is a sheet bend, or a double sheet bend, and I think I can figure that part out, but what is the best cordage to use ? I would want to end up with a net that is strong and doesn't stretch too much or not at all, and something that can stand up to years of heavy use, maybe nylon ?

#2 ·
parachute cord might work well for making a hammock. It is fairly strong, fairly thin, and does fairly well in outdoor situations.

#4 ·
UV resistance is the main thing

For example, the West Marine hammocks and life-line net don't last more than a few years in the sun. I have taken to using soccer goal netting for life lines - lasts MUCH longer.

Polyester is generally more uv resistant than nylon, and dark colors are better too.

#6 ·
on the Hammock 'thread'

I have only seen one method of securing a hammock on deck - one end to a halyard and the second to the jib halyard and raise both ends. Bad description, but you get the idea.

My jib is furled... I have a 'free' halyard for the spinnaker not in use... how can I set up my hammock?

A friend had suggested the one end on the spin halyard then tie some fancy knot he knows 'around' the furled jib or even off the eyelets (wrong term I know) that attach the jib sheets... I'm not crazy about putting that type of stress on the furler system... am I wrong? he claims that the system endures hundreds of pounds from the wind and will not be damaged by the lashing of a hammock...

Ideas? thoughts?

#9 ·
I have only seen one method of securing a hammock on deck - one end to a halyard and the second to the jib halyard and raise both ends. Bad description, but you get the idea.

My jib is furled... I have a 'free' halyard for the spinnaker not in use... how can I set up my hammock?

A friend had suggested the one end on the spin halyard then tie some fancy knot he knows 'around' the furled jib or even off the eyelets (wrong term I know) that attach the jib sheets... I'm not crazy about putting that type of stress on the furler system... am I wrong? he claims that the system endures hundreds of pounds from the wind and will not be damaged by the lashing of a hammock...

Ideas? thoughts?
If I tried something like that I'd probably use a piece of heavy cloth or leather to wrap around the furled jib to spread the stress around, then anchor line to that somehow. Maybe a piece of leather with some grommets in it ?

#7 ·
Soccer netting?

PDQ - you mention using soccer netting on life lines. We have little ones on board, and contrary to the racing types we want safety netting along our life lines to keep wee ones aboard.

I purchased knotted netting but to be honest it is pretty slim and I'm not sure it will last much more than one season. Do you use soccer netting in this manner and if so, how do you manage it, cut it, install it etc..

thanks.

#8 ·
Yes, exactly. As safety netting.

PDQ - you mention using soccer netting on life lines. We have little ones on board, and contrary to the racing types we want safety netting along our life lines to keep wee ones aboard.

I purchased knotted netting but to be honest it is pretty slim and I'm not sure it will last much more than one season. Do you use soccer netting in this manner and if so, how do you manage it, cut it, install it etc..

thanks.
Sometimes as additional trampoline on a cat, but where I did not want to catch the air a regular tramp would catch. It was not comfortable (big holes), but would catch a fall.

Sometimes we attached it with cable ties. Lots of them, the black uv resistant type (VERY important - not the clear ones). Since they were placed at every square, there is a lot of strength. Other times I would lace a ~ 1/4" line in a spiral manner through each square and around the cable. That worked well too and was more durable. We only used the cable ties when we had made some change and did not feel like re-lacing the net.

Yeah, the net from West Marine is only good for a few seasons, after which you will be able to pull it apart with your hands. I know because in season 3 I lost my balance and put my hand through it.

The net they sell for batting cages looks even better - perhaps you can find that. It seems to last forever at the local park. It would be my first choice, but I came a across a new soccer net for free. Same material, different hole size, it seems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.