Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-21-2009

ardoin is on a distinguished road
Sheets for Cutter Rig Jib?

The jib sheets I have on my cutter rig are burning holes in the protective UV canvas on the staysail. It appears that when the jib blows through on a tack, the lazy sheet rips across the staysail and burns into the staysail cover.
I currently have double braided sheets on the jib. I've heard that switching the a single braid may reduce the friction. Anyone have experience with this?
I am also interested in knowing if there is some other form of canvas that can be use to line the outer edge of the staysail that would be less prone to this kind of friction damage? I have sunbrella(sp?) material lining the staysail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2009

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
How about just putting a piece of leather around the furled part of the staysail when you're sailing under jib alone?
Old 06-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Putting a chafe patch on the staysail is a good idea...as is easing the lazy sheet when you're tacking. I don't know if going to a single braid will make much of a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-21-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I'm glad you brought this up. I just added furling to our staysail and a new sail so I'll keep an eye on it and see if it's causing any damage. Like mentioned above an additional layer of Sunbrella is all I can think of to protect it. What brand of doublebraid are you using for sheets?

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-21-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
If you want I will gladly trade you my boat for your Mason as I don't have any jib chaffing issues... On a serious note I don't have anything to add that would help you out but I absolutely love the Mason 44 and yours looks great with that blue hull! I got to go on a friend's in Greenport a couple years ago and it is an amazing vessel.
Old 06-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One other question, when was the last time you washed your jib sheets???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-21-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
SD has a good point. Jib sheets can pick up grit from the air, grit and dirt from the deck and even very small bits of metal from the stays. The effect becomes similar to a sort of poor quality emory board.

I wash my sheets and halyards in a nylon net bag every couple of seasons. It cleans them, "relaxes" them in terms of softening any hard spots and you can "end for end" them, effectively doubling their life. Also, I like soft, fuzzy sheets...typical cruiser!
Old 06-22-2009

ardoin is on a distinguished road
SD, I wash them in mild soapy water each spring when I do the bright work. These are the soft fuzzy double braid, When i walk on the deck if they rub against my arm, they burn.
The past few sails, i've been easing the lazy sheet to see if that helps, but the only difference i can see is where the burn mark occurs on the staysail.
I like the idea of some protection, but it would not be easy to install or remove, the burns start just above the clew when the staysail is rolled and occur all the way down to about 1 foot above the foot. I wish I was tall enough to reach the clew but that is not possible. Ideally, I'm looking for something that will not require me to go up front to prep the sail before using it.
I imagine i'll take it to a sail maker this fall when go on the hard to see if they have a material that may work better. If not, i may just have to add another layer of sunbrella to the bottom half of the saysail.
It has not yet burned the sail, but I imagine a few tacks with the sheet rubbing at the same spot will begin to do damage.
Oh recently I put a few more wraps on the staysail when furled in hopes that the staysail sheets wrapped around may provide some additional protection.
Thanks!

Oh, I'd never trade my Mason... she is great! (well maybe i'd consider an Oyster)

Old 06-22-2009
Telstar 28

Well, if you want a solution that will work for now, why not order a protective sunbrella sleeve for the staysail. It would be a lot cheaper than repairing the staysail, and help protect it from UV damage as well.

Telstar 28
New England