Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-23-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbondy View Post
Maine Sail,

I've been seeing the recent references to sealing using butyl tape. Your photos don't show this layer. When using butyl tape, is there a sealant layer under the tape or does the use of butyl tape obviate the need for any other sealant?

TIA
I think some confusion comes from it being called "tape." It's more of a strip of gum-like sealant that is pressed on paper backing. You peel it off the backing as a strip, but it can be manipulated like putty. And as you can see from MaineSails pictures, it is very sticky stuff.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2009

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Would you also add a slight bevel to the fiberglass when installing a thru-hull?
Old 06-24-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas8100 View Post
Would you also add a slight bevel to the fiberglass when installing a thru-hull?
No and here's why:

Thru-hulls already have a reverse chamfer or sealant trap built in...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-25-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Maine Sail, you're really good at these photo demo's. Is this a hobby of yours or do you do this for a living?
Old 06-25-2009

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Thanks!
Old 06-25-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
Maine Sail, you're really good at these photo demo's. Is this a hobby of yours or do you do this for a living?

Photography is a hobby, sailing is a hobby and gawd no I could not afford boating if this was my lively hood..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-25-2009

Uglydave is on a distinguished road
What about a countersunk screw in a counter sunk hole? I recently installed midship cleats, I over drilled and filled the holes with epoxy then laid in Sicaflex 291 before pulling the cleats down to 1mm from the deck using spacers (I put Sicaflex inside the countersunk recesses) after allowing the sealant to cure, removed the spacers and nipped up the nuts.
Should the countersunk recess and the head of the countersunk bolt have a different angle of countersinkedness (is that a word?) to allow some amount of sealant to remain under the bolthead?
Regards
UglyDave
Old 06-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There is little point to putting sealant in the fastener hole in the fitting itself. The area where the sealant is required is between the fitting and the deck, and that is why you're supposed to countersink the top of the fastener hole... since that is where the seal that prevents water from getting into the boat really is.

Also, I would point out that the two-step procedure for allowing the sealant to cure has been debunked. It is very difficult to tighten the fasteners properly without breaking the sealant adhesion them. It is also completely unnecessary if the holes have been countersunk so that the sealant can form a natural "o-ring".

I'd also point out that on high load fittings, like cleats, the two stage cure and tighten process can leave the hardware less than completely tight, since the sealant will resist tightening the bolts as snugly as they should be and lead to premature sealant failure as well as possibly a weaker installation overall--since friction between the deck hardware and the deck caused by fully tightening the through bolts are a considerable factor in the strength of the mounted hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglydave View Post
What about a countersunk screw in a counter sunk hole? I recently installed midship cleats, I over drilled and filled the holes with epoxy then laid in Sicaflex 291 before pulling the cleats down to 1mm from the deck using spacers (I put Sicaflex inside the countersunk recesses) after allowing the sealant to cure, removed the spacers and nipped up the nuts.
Should the countersunk recess and the head of the countersunk bolt have a different angle of countersinkedness (is that a word?) to allow some amount of sealant to remain under the bolthead?
Regards
UglyDave

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.