Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-23-2009

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
Another Project Boat - Flying Dutchman?

I'm starting a project that I have posted a couple of times on, as i first saw the boat etc. and got some awesome advice, so figured I'd keep a good thing going I might end up talking to myself for 4 months, but it won't be the first time..

A little background.. I race on Wed nights on a 36 Bavaria, that is a beautiful boat. I have a powerboat and love the water (and a bit of a boat addiction) - another guy and I bought a sailboat last winter, 22 Starwind swing keel, and keep it at a marina at the beach, she's a beauty and we're having a great time now that the weather's warmed up, and learning alot ! SO-Another guy on the racing team had what he thought was a Flying Dutchman in his yard on a trailer, and said we could have it (he has to move and can't bring it) we're unsure if it is a FD, it doesn't really look like one, but one thing we're sure of, it came from Kent State Sailing Team and it's hull #383

So, a hull that needs paint (and then some) and two buckets of blocks, bolts and hardware, a couple of masts and a half dozen sails and that's all I've got.. we don't want to sail competitively, and we don't want to spend a ton of money on her.. we were unsure what to do, and after my first post with "where do things go" etc.. a guy told me to step the mast, slide the boom on, put on a sail, and figure out what needs to go where to move it..
and IF we have fun and want to continue with the project, then look at painting it, upgrading hardware etc.. (Awesome advice !!!)

So this is the thread where I'll ask a million questions, while figuring it all out..It's like Sherlock Holmes (more like Inspector Clouseau) - this is a teardrop shaped part, it must go here !!! and hopefully like the ride enough to pony up a few hundred bucks to paint her.. She certainly looks fast..

SOO, I've stepped the mast, and the shroud attachment is questionable at best, but the forestay is dead on, i have no idea how the Jib attaches to the mast, but it has a wirestay up the luff? the only place i can see where it would attach is angled downward with a slot in the center..last fuzzy pic..

So the plan of action for tomorrow, is to look at a jib and see how it attaches.. and float it (i live right beside a landing) and mark the waterline... to see mast rake etc..

If anyone has any idea what it is or has any words of encouragement let me know !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The jib probably doesn't attach to the mast at all. It is probably just hoisted on the jib halyard, with the tack attached to a fitting near the base of the forestay. Looks like a nice little boat in need of some TLC. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-23-2009

I need to go check out some local racing boats.. I can't figure out how the Jib attaches to the mast, there is no halyard and a wire in the luff of the sail.. someone suggested to use the luff of the sail as the forestay, but that would be quite the predicament if a storm sprung up.. there are 2 holes with steel wire leading out that go back to locking tensioners.. I assumed one was for the forestay, and one was for the jib.. but the only attachment point on the mast that is at the right height for the jib looks like the claw end of a hammer pointed downward, with another below it ... does anyone have any ideas ??

The next problem is the shrouds.. we'll leave that description till tomorrow

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Old 06-23-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Any chance this is a sweet 16? Check out this link. http://www.s16.org/history.htm

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 06-23-2009
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
The more I look at it, the more I think it's an S16 or one of it's close relatives. This page might help a bit.

Edit: what a PITA. I can't get the link to work correctly. www DOT geocities.com/sweet16fleet2/rigging.html

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"

Last edited by US27inKS; 06-23-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's cause the keyword auto linking is picking up the word rigging and screwing it up... use TINYURL.com to fix the url so that it doesn't happen, like this:

LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
The more I look at it, the more I think it's an S16 or one of it's close relatives. This page might help a bit.

Edit: what a PITA. I can't get the link to work correctly. www DOT geocities.com/sweet16fleet2/rigging.html

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-24-2009

Thanks alot US27inKS !!

The second link is a perfect diagram of what I needed for my next step : http://tinyurl.com/maz6nn

Also thanks SD for the TinyURL tip

I'll keep you updated !!

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Old 06-24-2009
Francophobe

TheFrog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post

Unfortunately I don't think it is a Sweet 16. Two clues point me away from that. First, the hull on the boat in question is smooth going up the side, but Sweet 16 has a hard line almost like a chine along the sides
Second, the OP pics show a traveler which I cannot find in any of the pics of the Sweet 16.

It does look somewhat like a Flying Dutchman but all of the FD pics I have found show a flat deck whereas the boat in question has a slight cowl separating the foredeck from the cockpit.

Wish I could point out what boat it is but I am stumped

Quote:
Golf is an exercise in Scottish pointlessness for people who are no longer able to throw telephone poles at each other.
-Florence King

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Old 06-24-2009

I agree, it might not be a Sweet 16, but one its close relatives.. the rigging diagram will help out tremendously though..

It is 21'9" long, almost 6' longer than the Sweet16..

I did manage to find a photo of it though : theRock

I even found the name of one of the people in the photo, and emailed her asking what kind of boat it was I'm a supernerd..

I'm sure it will eventually be figured out ...

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"
Old 06-24-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
That surely looks like a Flying Dutchman. The Flying Dutchmen were are between 19'10 and 19'11 inches measured on deck, and they are 5'10 wide. I am wondering whether you included the rudder in your length?

The little hooks are called Halyard locks, they were used with small metal ball fittings that were nicropressed onto the wire halyard (Forestay). You would hook the ball into one of those hooks and it would hold the wire at that position. Typically these were used with short wire halyards with light weight penants or no penants at all. In the case of no penant you would lean the boat over on her rail, lock the ball and then stand her up again.

The genoas were flown on a roller furler which used the luff wire of the jib as the forestay. I believe that there was a genoa halyard involved on older boats and some kind of below deck stay tensioner on newer boats.

Here is the official rule book that shows how they were set up.....http://www.sailfd.org/pdf/2006/fdcr2006letv2.pdf

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-24-2009 at 01:29 PM.