Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-24-2009

mxtommy is on a distinguished road
Odd depth sounder behavior

Hi,

I have a horizon depth sounder on my boat. Not sure of the model unfortunately. Last year it worked wonderfully, no problems. This year, I seem to be experiencing an odd problem with it. It doesn't seem to show the actual depth, and the actual depth seems to have no bearing on what is displayed. It seems to start at around 2-3 ft deep (scared the crap outta me, cause I was in an unfamiliar river, and I draw 5 ft) and slowly increases by about .1 feet every 2-3 seconds. Never faster, never slower. it seems to reset itself back to 2-3 ft once it gets a bit past 40ft. Nothings changed since last year that would affect it as far as I know, so this really has me stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Email Tim Johnson at t.johnson@vxstdusa.com and explain the situation to him. Standard Horizon will look at your depth sounder to see if it's repairable and fix it for a fixed fee of $65, shipping not included. He's given me great customer service in the past on my old Standard Horizon depth sounder, and I know he'll do what he can for you.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Old 06-24-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
If you have a shoot through the hull type and it is encased in mineral oil. it may have leaked causing a bubble between the hull and transducer causing it to fluxuate depending on the roll of the boat.
Old 06-24-2009

mxtommy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaschrumpf View Post
Email Tim Johnson at t.johnson@vxstdusa.com and explain the situation to him. Standard Horizon will look at your depth sounder to see if it's repairable and fix it for a fixed fee of $65, shipping not included. He's given me great customer service in the past on my old Standard Horizon depth sounder, and I know he'll do what he can for you.

Good luck!
Thanks! I've sent him off an email. Hopefully he'll know more

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
If you have a shoot through the hull type and it is encased in mineral oil. it may have leaked causing a bubble between the hull and transducer causing it to fluxuate depending on the roll of the boat.
By shoot through the hull type you mean no through-hull? In that case I don't have one of those, mine goes through the hull. I would think something like that would cause erratic readings though no? Mine are steady. It doesn't fluctuate at all, aside from the steady slow increase in depth shown (about .1ft every 2-3 seconds)

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Me too!

Mine is an older one that was acting similarly. I tried to replace the transducer [thru hull] and instrument with something else but they were all too small. I called Standard Horizon and a tech told me the SH transducers were interchangeable. I took a chance and bought a new one on ebay.[$50 dollars] It works perfectly! And I learned [thanks to a label on the transducer] that you never, ever clean a transducer w acetone! That will kill them. This may have been responsible for my old ones demise.
Old 06-24-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
My West Marine unit (made by Standard Horizon) will occcasionally show a very low depth when I know I have plenty of water. Seems to be an issue early in the season - I believe it thinks the thermocline layer is the bottom. The software in the newer units seems to better at this.
Old 06-24-2009
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
My Raymarine St60 depth will show random shallow water while in deep water 80+ft. I was following another boat that also reported the same experience. It was a large school of fish, nothing wrong with the equipment.
I use a chartplotter and lake chart to know where I am so I dont flip out with an unecessary fire drill.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 06-24-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
Mine has acted odd ever since I painted over the transducer...d'oh!!!

Acting better (not perfect) since I've sanded the paint off.

Live and learn....good thing I'm not a pilot!!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.