Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I did buy a large brass oil lamp and drilled and mount a small DC socket where the wick would go and then I installed a Sensibulb inside of the lamp. I added a decorative chain and use that to run the wires along and hung it over the table in the main cabin. Great light, looks good with low amp draw.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

We use one, though I forget who it is made by. It is actually a real anchor lamp and can be used as such. We have always had them aboard and used to use them for light at night without worrying about power. They are also great with a glass of wine.

You can buy the lamp oil at Walmart and it puts out minimum smoke. They do get hot at the end, so be careful before grabbing hold.

Just a word of warning, as I noticed many replies were from campers, on a baot these things get really banged around. Those nice fancy ones with the pretty glass will not last the first storm or Sport Fish.... whichever comes first. Make SURE that it is a nautical grade and if cannot easil (or at all) spill which flipped over, has thick glass, and is well protected. Otherwise your feet will not appreciate you.

I think they have a place on a boat and enjoy mine a lot.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-25-2009
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
I've only owned mine for six months, but I like it very much. It's bright and quiet, it does not smoke or smell. The mantle was crumbling when I got the boat, I replaced it. The boat was in enough of a sea to bounce the men in the V-berth, the lamp was fine. It does produce radiant heat, we used it to warm and dry in heavy rain.
Wandering star, is your gimbaled or wall mounted? I wonder if that would make a difference to the mantel surviving.

Sounds like they are really finicky... Good to know. The height shouldn't be a problem as I've got about 7' of headroom, and the heat is usually a plus.

Anyone else able to run it for an hour or 2 without fussing with the wick?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 06-25-2009

RestlessWind is on a distinguished road
I have used antique and modern Alladin lamps most of my 50+ years, at the cabin, camping, and at home during power outages. They do produce quite a bit of heat, and the replacement mantles have become more expensive over the years. With the wick properly trimmed and adjusted, they will burn all evening with the only adjustment being to brighten or dim the light.

The mantles, once lit the first time, become just so much ash, but being protected by the chimney will last a long time with reasonable care.

Hung from the ceiling with a smoke-bell they should be fine in a boat. I would be concerned that the heat produced might be a bit much for gimbaled or bulkhead-mount. We usually keep them a couple of feet from a wall or combustible material.

I usually add about 1/2oz rubbing alcohol to the best kerosene and get very little odor.

YMMV
Donnie
Old 06-26-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Mine is fixed mounted to the bulkhead, with a smoke bell. It has a tall narrow chimney. I burn mineral spirits in it, which was recommended by an oil lamp website.
Old 06-26-2009

dgr is on a distinguished road
CD,
That isn't an Aladdin. That looks like a Den Haan kerosene anchor light.

From my understanding, there are at least three functional types of kerosene lamps

1) A liquid candle, like what CD is showing.
2) A petromax style pressurized one. Most people are familiar with a Coleman camping lantern
3) An Aladdin. It is non-pressurized but has a mantle like the pressure one. The wick sits below the mantle and the flame burns inside of the mantle and causes the mantel to incandesce
Old 06-26-2009

meuritt is on a distinguished road
dgr,

you are correct with the three different types of kerosene (coal oil) lamps. I also have a #2 in brass. What a beaut, and what noise.

Lighting is fun, check the fuel level, pressurize. Fill the cup with alcohol, light, wait for it to almost burn out, turn on kero and hope the generator is hot enough to vaporize it. Insert ear plugs. Produces light and heat comparable to the Coleman white gas lanterns. Mine is a single mantle.

man that thing is loud!