Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-20-2002

dargiem is on a distinguished road
"Weeping" keel

Thanks to all who take the time to keep up this message board. As a new sailor, it''s been VERY helpful!

I''m the new owner of a 1988 Catalina 30 TR with the M25XP engine. When she was hauled for the winter a few weeks ago, I noticed a spot in the joint between the keel and fiberglass that was "weeping" water. It lasted for more than a week. The yard says to tighten the keel bolts and paint. Does anyone know how much to torque the bolts? Should I just paint over it in the spring after it has had a chance to dry out? Dig out the fairing material and replace (with what)?

Also need to install a new cutless bearing. I have read what I can and it all seems pretty straight forward. But, engine/shaft re-alignment, can anyone walk me through the process? I''ve read about repacking the stuffing box with teflon "flax". I have seen both the "flax" and a putty material. What''s best? What size flax do I use? It might also be a good time to replace engine mounts. How much of a job is this?
And last, any favorite web sites to purchase cutless bearings, fuel filters (both Racor and engine), engine mounts, etc.

Thanks again,

Mike in Noank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2002
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
"Weeping" keel

Unless you know that the boat has had a severe close encounter with some under water object, I would doubt very much that your keel bolts are loose. Closely inspect the keel for signs of damage. If they need tightening, I''m sure the manufacturer can give you the correct torque specifications. You might also want to check the bilge in the area of the weep to make sure some dumbshit didn''t drill a hole in the boat while working on or replacing the bilge pump.

Break out all of the loose faring material around weeping icon and let it dry out over the winter and fare it prior to bottom painting in the spring. I''ve used a two-part filler called VC watertite in the past, there may be something better, don''t use Bondo or auto body filler as it is not designed for underwater applications.

To replace the cutlass bearing you''ll need to remove the propeller, most likely with a puller. A special tool is now available to press the bearing out of the strut obviating the need to pull the shaft. I paid the yard to do this a few years back, about $130. The cost of the tool and the value of my time made this an easy decision. Don''t forget to spray the new bearing with oil (not sailkote) at time of haul out next year, to keep the rubber soft, flexible and prevent it from drying out.

Engine alignment should only be done once the boat is in the water and the standing rigging is under tension. Unless you have very good mechanical abilities and a good dial indicator, hire a pro to do this, you can do more damage that will cost you a lot more down the (water?) road if it''s not done correctly.

Any chandlery can recommend a good flax (Teflon or otherwise) to repack the stuffing box. This is not a big job but, you''ll want to make sure the box is adjusted correctly so you don''t burn up the shaft or sink the boat in the spring. You might consider throwing away the OE stuffing box and replacing it with a drip free stuffing box from a company such as PYI. I helped a friend of mine install one on his C30 in about an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.