Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-27-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Access plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
If you can find the access port, you probably could do it yourself.
Probably the easiest job I have done on Mystery so far in rejuvenating her is to put in an access plate in my aluminum fuel tank.

1 - I bought the access plate (I got one for a six inch hole)
Seabuilt - Access Plate Systems

2 - I cut an access hole in the plywood over the tank

3 - I removed the plywood over the tank and cut the hole in the tank for the access plate (full, easy to follow instructions came with it) Cut it with a metal blade on a hand jig saw - cut through it like butter)

4 - I fastened the access port in place.

Now I have easy access for looking at, polishing, cleaning . . .

And, I know a lot more about my boat.

I will be installing a fuel polishing system like Strider has Strider Fuel System

Rik and Linda
Mystery
Irwin Citation 34
trip blog at: Mystery - the Trip Home
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Getting someone to access the tank, cut in and install a proper access port, and do a proper cleaning in it is probably going to be worth 6-8 hours of your time, so $400 doesn't seem unreasonable.

The option is to remove your tank (access varies) then cut the access hole yourself, get a port to fit in there, spend some time making sure you get all the metal filings out of the tank, clean it well, dry it back out....You'll probably only be out of pocket $100 for the access plate and whatever cutters and sealants you need, but it will take a while.

"The University of Idaho conducted tests on the life expectancy of fuels to determine the timeline on degradation of stored #2 diesel fuel. The results indicated 26% degradation after 28 days of storage."
Source Of Diesel Fuel Problems

Sounds a bit extreme to me, and ignores the question of crud growing in the tank and contaminants and all. But I do know that pump gasoline is designed to be used within 90 days, and it breaks down signficantly by that point. I wouldn't expect 2 year old diesel to be good, even if it was good enough to burn. My rule of thumb is that if the fuel isn't going to be consumed and replaced in 90 days, whatever kind it is, it needs stabilant and additives to keep it in top shape.

A diesel engine is a nice thing, except for the Jekyll-and-Hyde show it puts on when there's any little problem in the fuel system. With a tank that's been sitting for two years? No matter how you do it, yes, clean it out thoroughly.

or make sure your SeaTow policy is paid up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook