Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-26-2009

SVlagniappe is on a distinguished road
I bought a 9.9 HP Honda last fall and have been happy with it so far. However, there was a surprise in the owner's manual. It says you must flush with fresh water after every use in saltwater. Quite an inconvenience here at the dock. Can't imagine complying with that while cruising...
Beneteau 423 #310
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2009

mrwuffles is on a distinguished road
we have an old 8hp honda 4 stroke and it runs like a charm no problems with sitting and starts up every it is so quiet that when you are at the bow of my 14 foot boat the only reason you know it is running is a slight vibration
Old 06-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yup... when you need service for it and can't find a Tohatsu dealer, you can often get the parts you need at the local mercury or Nissan dealer, as my friend down in the Caribbean learned...after I told her they were all the same engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
"Be aware"???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2009
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
My 5HP Tohatsu is lighter and faster than my Honda 5HP. The Tohatsu cost much less and is no more or less reliable. Both suffer from ethanol problems equally. If you don't know how to clean a carb, I suggest that you watch a couple of YouTube videos on small engine carb cleaning so that you know what to do when it happens to you.
Old 06-26-2009
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I've had a couple of Nissan/Tohatsu 9.8 hp two strokes that have been absolutely bullet proof. Love them. Just bought a new Yamaha 4hp four stroke and it's loud and has quite a bit of vibration at low RPM, which is understandable being single cylinder. I'd go with Tohatsu if I were you, less money, great engines.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 06-27-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
You might try mixing two stroke oil in you four stroke gas at about 100 to 1. I found this seems keep the gas from going bad and does not hurt the performance of my lawnmower or make it smoke. I foun this out by using up my two stroke gas from the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfBlue View Post
My 5HP Tohatsu is lighter and faster than my Honda 5HP. The Tohatsu cost much less and is no more or less reliable. Both suffer from ethanol problems equally. If you don't know how to clean a carb, I suggest that you watch a couple of YouTube videos on small engine carb cleaning so that you know what to do when it happens to you.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 06-27-2009

jfdubu is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents, I would buy a yamaha. period.
I have a 2 stroke 3hp yami on my tender that I've had for 6 years and the motor was given to me. I think it's over 10 years old.

I have done nothing to this motor. nada , zilch. execpt run fresh water throught it for the winter. In six years it's three or four pulls when I pull it out of the basement to start the year and one pull after that all season. I don't change the gas, havn't changed the plug, nothing.

This motor is the most dependable part of my boat toys. When (and if) it ever dies it will be replaced with a yamaha.

A friend has a 5 hp 4 stroke honda and it's a PITA to run and it's heavy.

John
Old 06-27-2009

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
In 1993 I bought a 5hp 2 stroke Nissan outboard and it still starts easily and runs good with very minimal maintenance. In fact I have not even changed spark plugs on it in all those years. I forget the weight, but still light enough to lift into the dingy without use of halyards etc. It will plane the wood floor Archilles with me(205 lbs) and my girlfriend(130 lbs) which is important if you want to go any distance to explore. The one negative is that some of the metal is not first rate....I've sheared off a bolt head on the flushing port and the zinc bolt. I do like the 4 stoke engines since fuel economy is better, but until their weight gets reduced I'm sticking with the old Nissan.
Old 06-27-2009

jjns is on a distinguished road
We bought a new 2HP honda, used it once and traded it in on a 2.5HP Yamaha.
The honda was light, that is about all the good I can say of it. The Yamaha has been fantastic though heavy (honda was about 24lbs, Yamy is more like 34lbs)
it is water cooled, gets great gas mileage. It has been in storage for 3 years now, pulled it out last week, filled the tank and it started up on a 1/2 pull.
Has lots of power will run for an hour an a litre of gas. So with a full tank and a 1gal jerry can (the no spill variety work great) I can motor for 5 hrs.
Old 06-28-2009

BeneteauMark is on a distinguished road
I've owned OB's from Tohatsu, Nissan, Mercury and Yamaha.

Our current dingy OB is a Yamaha two stoke 8 hp. (Yamaha still offers two strokes, if you can find them.) Easy starting, light for its horsepower and lots of power. Wonderful OB -- no issues at all.

We also have a four stroke Yamaha on the sailboat. Great power, but finicky about fuel. Had to have it worked on about every other year for hard starting. Am currently disconnecting the fuel hose at shutdown and let her run out of gas per dealer's suggestion. Also, am running the cleaning dose of Sea Foam all the time (2 oz per gallon). Will see how this regimen goes over time. (FWIW, besides stabilizing fuel, Sea Foam is supposed to perform the same combustion chamber cleaning as Yamaha's Ring Free.)

Prior to that, I had a Mercury four stroke on the sailboat, and wasn't happy with it at all. Initial unit was a bonafide lemon with massive starting issues the dealer couldn't fix. Mercury was no help at all, and the dealer finally replaced it after some arm twisting. Mercury #2 started OK, but was light on power. It was marginal even with a high thrust prop.

Many moons ago, I had a Tohatsu OB, but it was hard to get serviced in SE Michigan. The Nissan dealers wouldn't touch it, even though it was mechanically identical to a Nissan.

At this same time I had a little 3.5 hp Nissan for my dingy, and it was a wonderful little OB. Easy starting and no real issues.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.