SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How to remove tangled line in prop

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Boatpride 
#1 ·
Oh, the title says it all........Late last night, we tied up at Angel Island (SF Bay)....The stern line got caught in the prop.....Short of diving in, we've tried everything.....The line won't budge.....Help! Any ideas????
Thanks in advance.....

#2 ·
If you can get to the propeller shaft coupler, behind the transmission, you could try turning it from inside the boat and see if you can unwind some of the wraps.

I keep a snorkel and mask on the boat all the time for just this type of emergency.

#4 ·
Did you keep some tension on the line as you turned the shaft? Not winch tension, but a steady pull as someone inside turns can help unwind things (if you're lucky!)

#6 ·
Sometimes, you can put the transmission in gear and give small pulses on the starter. If you were in reverse when the line wrapped, then have the transmission in forward, and vice versa.

Make sure the engine kill switch remains engaged. You don't want to start the engine. You're just using the starter in short bursts to unwind the line while you pull on it.

#7 ·
You guys are great!
Right now Steve has the knife attached to the boat hook and is making some progress.....We don't have the luxury of keeping the engine off -- because our kill switch is an electronic solenoid (and I'm sorry --- I don't have a clue what that means; unfortunately, I'm only the pink lady on board :).....I think Steve's trying to loosen things up -- then go back to turning the shaft.....
If nothing else, this is a learning lesson for me! I offered to put on my mask and jump in -- but then I'd have to figure out where the prop was.......... :)
Just kidding ---- I scraped and polished it when we had the boat out "on the hard"....

Again, thanks!
Arleen
s/v Ubuntu
KP 44

#11 ·
The easiest way to avoid that happening again is to have someone on the jetty to receive your stern line. If no one is about then come in close enough to let crew off. If you find the line in the water near the prop, then make sure to keep it away from the stern. Less line in the water - the better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.