Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-29-2009

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Question No Plastic Bags

The USCG web page has the following to say about PFD accessibility: "They should not be stowed in plastic bags, in locked or closed compartments or have other gear stowed on top of them."

I understand the other issues, but what's up with the plastic bags?

I know the best PFD is the one you wear, so I'm not trying to start a debate on wearing vs not wearing.--I'm just curious what makes a PFD in a plastic bag worse than any other PFD that is not currently being worn. West marine even sells plastic dedicated PFD storage bags.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2009
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Often you can buy multiple PFD's in a plastic storage bag to put on your boat. These bags usually have a top that zips open to gain access to the PFD's. It could be very hard to get at them in case of an emergency.
Old 06-29-2009

bacampbe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Often you can buy multiple PFD's in a plastic storage bag to put on your boat. These bags usually have a top that zips open to gain access to the PFD's. It could be very hard to get at them in case of an emergency.
This is exactly the sort of bag I was wondering about--is that what they are talking about? Why would the zipper make it hard to access? That sort of bag seems like a good way to make them stay together and "on top" wherever they are stowed. I'd rather fight a zipper than try to fish out PFDs that had slid out-of-place while sailing.

OTOH, I could see a sealed in-store display bag that required cutting and/or tearing to get at the PFD being a problem.
Old 06-29-2009
Custom Member

Stiche is on a distinguished road
First guess? I don't think it's the storage container that's the issue. I have my "guest" life jackets in the form of the West Marine 4-pack, which comes in a nylon duffel bag with top zipper. I would venture to say it's the factory wrap the jackets sometimes come in.

It's a polite way of saying take the d*mn life jacket out of its wrapper before you go sailing, moron!"

I've been on brand new boats before that come with life jackets, but the life jackets are all in sealed bags...you'd think people would have the basic knowledge to prep their gear first; unfortunately, the people who DON'T do that probably also don't visit the USCG site Don't worry, Social Darwinism will prevail: "Survival of the not dumbest"
Old 06-29-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
Agreed, take them out of the shipping bag. remove the paper tags, check all the straps make sure everything is ready to use. Try them on for size. I wore one for two days before I realized the co2 inflator was not in it. I'm a slow learner, but I can be taught!
Old 06-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, on the inflatables... double check to make sure the CO2 cartridge is screwed in fully. On many vests, the vests are shipped with the cartridge in place but not fully inserted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-30-2009
Ignoring Trolls in 2009

TxLnghrn is on a distinguished road
On my power squadron vessel safety check this year, the examiner told me that the zippered bags were a no-no. The concern is that they could rust shut and prevent easy access to the lifevests.

Michael
Hull #15