Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-29-2009
Iroquois MkII

LookingForCruiser is on a distinguished road
tiny little bubbles

If I was making champagne I'd be thrilled. But I'm varnishing...

So I stir the can carefully. No bubbles at all. Dip in the foam brush and apply some varnish to the wood. Bubbles! Tiny little bubbles everywhere!

Maybe they'll disappear by morning, but I doubt it.

What'd I do wrong? Is a foam brush not the thing to use?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
No.

Use a very good quality regular bristled brush - badger's hair or the equivalent will produce the best results.

Foam brushes are okay for bottom paint.
Old 06-30-2009

tjmiksa is on a distinguished road
I second that I've been doing custom stairs and trim in house for quite a while and foam brushes most always leave bubble
Old 06-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
poor bastage... you're varnishing with a foam brush... Get a good bristle brush at least and save yourself some headaches..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-30-2009
ex-Navy

bloodhunter is on a distinguished road
Varnish without bubbles

Agree with everyone that you should be using a bristle brush, preferably badger hair.
Also get a clean coffee can, punch a hole on each side near the top of the can and run a wire through the holes. After you load your brush with varnish from the can run each side of the brush gently over the wire. This will remove any bubbles you may have picked up. When you're finished varnishing for the day pour the varnish from the coffee can back into the varnish can.
Another trick, if you're doing multiple day's varnish jobs. At the end of the day load your brush with varnish then suspend it in a jar/can of water so bristles are completely covered. The next day remove the brush and paint out all the varnish on some scrap wood and you're good to go. Saves a lot of time and brush cleaner over cleaning your brush properly at the end of each day. Never tried leaving the brush in water for multiple nights before using it but as long as the brush is really loaded with varnish see no reason why it shouldn't work (within reason)

Last edited by bloodhunter; 06-30-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Okay, here I am the contrarian again, but I varnish with cheap foam brushes and achieve good results.

The trick is to use the "point and tip" method just like when applying nice finish paint.

Apply the varnish in short up and down stokes, then tip it out with long opposing strokes, from the wet edge back to the already finished area. Keep moving quickly to maintain the wet edge.

Don't try to re-use the brushes. Once you're done for the day, dispose of it properly and use a new brush for the next coat.

P.S. Another source of bubbles can be a hot surface. MAke sure you're not varnishing in direct sunlight, and it's preferable to have ambient temps falling rather than rising.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-30-2009
Iroquois MkII

The guy at West Marine said to use a foam brush... we hates the guy at West Marine...
Old 06-30-2009
Iroquois MkII

and who's the unlucky guy who has the job shaving badgers to make brushes?
Old 06-30-2009
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road
Foam brushes all the way, but I've found some brushes are better than others, I buy them by the box from Jamestown Foam Brushes

Make sure your not applying pressure when you applying the varnish as that will create bubbles.

SOLARE
T-37 #442

Last edited by T37SOLARE; 06-30-2009 at 09:37 AM. Reason: image
Old 06-30-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
John Pollard was spot on in every point he made.

I would add (and I've done this professionally for many years so I know whereof I speak) there are two qualities of foam brushes (that I am aware of). The cheap variety is usually black and is very coarse. It does not hold up well. The better ones are grey and are very fine textured.

You can get an equally good finish with either the better quality foam brush or a good quality badger brush. The badger brush will put down thicker coats with longer brush strokes because it holds more varnish.

However, it is time consuming to clean them. We often superficially clean them and then suspend them in thinner when we're doing a job and have to leave them overnight for several nights in a row. I've actually had mine in thinner for months at a time when we're doing a lot of varnishing - but you have to keep an eye on them and change out the thinner frequently.

BTW the bubbles will usually mostly go away when you 'tip it out'. If you're not in direct sunlight, they will all disappear. If you get 'fisheye' somebody has waxed your varnish or gotten silicon caulk on it. If that happens, remove what you've put on and thoroughly clean the surface - several times with Comet, Ajax or similar and plenty of scrubbing and water.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

Last edited by LarryandSusanMacDonald; 06-30-2009 at 11:28 AM.