SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

self tailers

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  patrickrea 
#1 ·
My old boat has winches without self tailers. Do the rubber add on self tailers work?

#6 ·
They do help, but they're not a replacement for a real self-tailing winch... good stop gap measure.

#7 ·
I have heard the key to performance for the “rubber self-tailer” is to not allow the rubber to dry out. My friend uses them and keeps them covered and out of the sun whenever not in use.

#8 ·
Yes...but

They worked pretty well and will hold the sheet with a couple of extra wraps. I put some on my undersized Lewmars this year, used them all spring/summer with good results, but am actually putting new larger ST primary winches on right now. We have small kids so I essentially sail the boat short handed with them and need the extra hand.

I think the mixed opinions are due to the fact that they wont work well on some boats if the approach angle of the sheet isn't right (ie: block too low and close relative to winch). They are not really self tailing as you do have to strip the line off the winch, but they do hold the sheet fairly well as you grind, and it gives you an extra hand. The groove in the top holds well in moderate winds. Bigger winds, I still cleated.

They were worth the money, and I recommend them...but they also validated my opinion on ST winches, make the boat easier to sail, and I made the major purchase. They work much better than the plain winch but, but not as well as ST winches.

#10 ·
The OP is referring to Winchers. I have them on my Pearson 30 and they work quite well. As SD has said, they are not true self-tailers but they DO work. I find I need to put an extra wrap around the winch for it to really take hold. They can be tricky to put on over the top of your winch -- best suggestion... soak them in hot water to soften them up and lube them with a little dishwashing liquid. Here's the important part... tie a light line as a leash so that if it squirts away from you while you're trying to stretch it on, it doesn't fly overboard and become part of the man-made shoal of winch handles, keys, tools and sunglasses :)

Winchers can be purchased from Defender at Winchers Self Tailers.

#13 ·
I have barient 21 two speed winch. probably from late 70s or 80s. How should I measure the winch? Measure the top lip diameter where the winchers go on, or do they go by the drum measurement (where the line wraps around the winch)?
They go by the drum measurement. I think it's the mediums for the Barient 21.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.