Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-01-2009

MomentumM is on a distinguished road
Hybrid GPS

Garmin cam out with mod #640 for around 1,000$ that display both road and marine.
The problem with most road units is that they don't show marine markers, etc.. but as mentionned before it will help you with at least find your position and then you can go on your charts.
Ontario Lake (Usa & Can)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Just to throw something else into the pile of suggestions. I have a Blackberry with GPS and Mapping App installed. As long as I have a wireless signal in the bay, I can have it "tell me where I am" giving the Lat and Long in raw coordinates which can then be charted. I tried this last month on my Coastal Navigation Checkout Cruise and it worked pretty good.

So if you have an installed GPS app that will tell you coordinates you could use it in conjunction with a real chart.
Old 07-01-2009

swimnfit is on a distinguished road
SsilingDog, you are absolutely right. I have been trying to thoink of a way to do that with my NUVI 760. From the main screen you go to "Tools" then press "Where am I"?. Lo and behold there is the raw Lat and Long. Can't wait to give it a try myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“A wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.”
Old 07-02-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
I use a garmin 276c that has both. I think it came from aircraft because it has altitude.

Sometimes when looking for a grocery store near a dock I switch to auto mode to find one close.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 07-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help...have fun... BTW, I'd point out that I have yet to see a GPS unit that can't display the LAT/LON position on some screen someplace. Some will take a bit of futzing with, but all the ones I've looked at, from major manufacturers at least, will do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimnfit View Post
SsilingDog, you are absolutely right. I have been trying to thoink of a way to do that with my NUVI 760. From the main screen you go to "Tools" then press "Where am I"?. Lo and behold there is the raw Lat and Long. Can't wait to give it a try myself.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help...have fun... BTW, I'd point out that I have yet to see a GPS unit that can't display the LAT/LON position on some screen someplace. Some will take a bit of futzing with, but all the ones I've looked at, from major manufacturers at least, will do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimnfit View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.