Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-30-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Fender Boards

I am considering making some fender boards so the pilings don't eat my boat.do any of you out there use them and if so, what are the approximate dimensions of the boards you use.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2009

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Search the forum for "fender boards" There was a previous discussion just recently. I've tried to put a link in but can't get it to work...

Last edited by MMR; 06-30-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 06-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I started one a while back... LINK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-30-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
BR has fender board similar to the one Dog described in his link above -- 2" x 8" x 8', except we didn't bother with using PT wood. We've sailed 25,000 miles with the fender board lashed to the rail on the stbd bow -- we've used it twice.

After all those miles our board has a nice silvery patina, is very soft to the touch and, most importantly, it contributes to BR's "look" as a serious crusing sailboat -- just what you want in a fender board.

PS. It also is very good at trapping dirt in the scuppers.

PPS. If you double click on the avatar you can see it there on the stbd rail. Very 'salty', eh?

Last edited by billyruffn; 06-30-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Where will you keep the board? The determining factor of the length is usually storage. Mine are about 5 feet long and have been plenty.

What loads will they take? When weather deteriorates I get out of the slip and on the hook. YMMV. Absent serious weather, a 1x6 is plenty big enough. If you are going to weather hurricanes in the slip (assume doubled lines, chafe protection, yadda yadda yadda) maybe - MAYBE - you want a 2x6. If you are in an exposed location, thicker boards make sense.

I put the holes for lines just a few inches from the end of the boards. This has made keeping the fenders inside the ends of the boards more reliable.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 07-01-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nereussailor View Post
I am considering making some fender boards so the pilings don't eat my boat.do any of you out there use them and if so, what are the approximate dimensions of the boards you use.

Dave
I used a 2x6x8 treated. Two holes in each end and dangled from the lifelines with fenders on the inside. When I did not need it as a fender board, it worked as a boarding ramp (until someone stole it... now who would steal a freaking boarding ramp!!!!???).

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 07-01-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2009

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I've made much of use of my fender board.

You might think from the spider web that they're not used, but we've very quick working spiders aboard!
This board is about four & one half feet long with three stainless strakes parallel across the center were the board would face a piling. 'does a great job! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 07-01-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Thanks everyone, I installed one fender board tonight that was built like SD's diagrams. I tied it off to the toe rail with the fenders behind it on the hull. I ended up using a 2x6 that I cut to 5' it's going to work out great for my slip. I'll store it on deck if I can, or in the aft berth with the rest of the sails and such.
Right now, it kind of looks out of place, it needs the weathering so it looks more at home on the boat.
Next project....... outboard motor mount on the aft rail for the dinghy motor.
Old 07-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nereussailor View Post
Thanks everyone, I installed one fender board tonight that was built like SD's diagrams. I tied it off to the toe rail with the fenders behind it on the hull. I ended up using a 2x6 that I cut to 5' it's going to work out great for my slip. I'll store it on deck if I can, or in the aft berth with the rest of the sails and such.
Right now, it kind of looks out of place, it needs the weathering so it looks more at home on the boat.
Next project....... outboard motor mount on the aft rail for the dinghy motor.
Just a comment, maybe not necceesary, but will make regardless: If you have serious tides, the board CAN ride up over the fenders. THe result is not pretty, as you can imagine from this finish:

[IMG][/IMG]

I have not fix for it... only to say that it only happened on unusual circumstances with extreme tides. Just a warning to watch out for your boat.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: