Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-01-2009

jeffls is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jeffls
Question on teak cleaning and sealing to deck

I have owned my first sailboat for 2 months now. I have read quite a bit on here and decided to go with a starbright teak cleaner/brightner then to the light teak oil/sealent. Looks great. Problem though. The cleaner/brightner got onto the freeboard which is a soft yellow and has discolored it. I may have taken off the wax coating as opposed to softened the paint but why would this happen for a specifically designed cleaner.

The cleaner also took off a bunch of dried black teak toe rail to hull sealant. I bought some 3M black 5200 and scraped clean a section to test it out and I made a mess with it and it seems impossible to make it look neat cuz it just goos wherever it wants and does not seem to want to get into cracks. There has to be a better way to do this. The cleaner/brightner also apparently softens 5200 so I am looking for something better/more easiliy applied sealent to get splits in the teak and soft/dried out seals replaced.

Advice please! Not just products but what is the best way to apply it! Why would be freeboard discolor?
Old 07-01-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Teak cleaning

As an owner of a 30 year old boat with a teak deck for some 12 years now I've had lots of thoughts and have taken some actions on what to do about and with the deck. While a thoroughly scrubbed deck looks terrific for a while it will revert to the more natural silvered look in a few months. If you insist on cleaning it, go with what those that seem to be real experts suggest. Just use sea water and one of those scrubbing pads (the white ones with handles). Anything else is doing more harm than good. As for me, I leave mine alone now with the exception of a thorough wash down a couple of times a year.

As far as what to use to reseal the teak seams, the absolute best, I'm told, is Detco. It's a two part material that you have to mix up and place into tubes and then squeeze into the seams. It reportedly makes a great seal and lasts forever, or so. I have a friend that used Detco to seal the deck on a boat he built some 10 years ago and it is still in great shape.

The next best is TeakDecking Systems SIS440. It is a one part material that comes in ready to use tubes. If you really need to repair/reseal some seams I'd suggest that you contact the folks at Yacht Services. They can send you detailed instructions as to how to make repairs. Their email address is yacht dot services @ teakdecking dot com. I'm currently refurbishing a large part of my deck to reseal seams and reset screws and I'm using SIS440. It's working well so far.

I've used quite a few other seam sealing materials over the years to patch seams and none of it worked well in my opinion.

In any event, welcome to the sailing community and I hope you have great luck and fun with your new boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DwayneSpeer; 07-01-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Add detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2009
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Dwayne is on the right track as far as I'm concerned. Dish soap does a nice job on teak. I use a chamois mop on my decks. On stubborn stains I'll use a scrubby, but be sure to work across the grain.

If you can get Boracol mildewcide it is useful once a year or so. The common mildews on teak decks are black and look like dirt that won't clean off.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.