Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-01-2009

SiXeVeN is on a distinguished road
Painting stainless steel???

Another thread got me thinking. I have some stainless steel hardware that has recently been "heavily scratched/etched"

I have thought of having the hardware primed and painted with a 2 part polyurethane marine paint but i'm concerned about crevice corrosion issues as stainless steel needs oxygen exposure to chemically prevent itself from corrosion.

I have two thoughts... 1) The stainless steel will be painted preventing any exposure and thus corrosion as it will be protected from moisture and salt by the paint.

2) The paint will block the necessary oxygen exposure and the stainless will begin to corrode under the paint... leading to failure.

Anyone have any thoughts or successfully painted marine stainless steel without issues???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I'd remove it and polish it if possible. Then it pretty much takes care of itself.
Brian
Old 07-01-2009

Removal is almost impossible (riveted, bonded, bolted permanently). Polishing would be a B*TCH as the metal is fairly badly etched by sandblasting. (looks frosted)

If it could be painted... that would be easiest. If it can't then well.... I guess I have some replacing/buffing to do.
Old 07-01-2009

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I read your post on the soda blasting thread and now see your problem more clearly. Painting may be your best option but I'm not experienced enough to say how.
Brian
Old 07-01-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ummm... you're a bit confused... Stainless steel generally doesn't corrode under paint, since paint bonds so closely to the stainless steel and prevents any corrosion, which requires oxygen exposure, from occurring.

While stainless steel does have issues with crevice corrosion, it doesn't suffer crevice corrosion if properly painted. IIRC, for stainless steel to corrode it has to be deprived of sufficient oxygen to prevent the passivation action of the chromium in the steel alloy from protecting it, but exposed to enough oxygen to convert the iron into iron oxide. Painting prevent any oxygen from getting to it, not a limited amount...which would be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXeVeN View Post
Another thread got me thinking. I have some stainless steel hardware that has recently been "heavily scratched/etched"

I have thought of having the hardware primed and painted with a 2 part polyurethane marine paint but i'm concerned about crevice corrosion issues as stainless steel needs oxygen exposure to chemically prevent itself from corrosion.

I have two thoughts... 1) The stainless steel will be painted preventing any exposure and thus corrosion as it will be protected from moisture and salt by the paint.

2) The paint will block the necessary oxygen exposure and the stainless will begin to corrode under the paint... leading to failure.

Anyone have any thoughts or successfully painted marine stainless steel without issues???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-01-2009

Quote:
Stainless steel generally doesn't corrode under paint
That is encouraging. Although I am confused why there is such a warning about sealing stainless fasteners under fiberglass or sealant. The generally accepted reason is low oxygen tension causing corrosion. However, as you said, you need some oxygen to bond with the iron to make rust. Perhaps it is not that the fastener is deprived of oxygen completely it is that the fiberglass or sealant is not tightly bonded to the metal and thus any penetrating moisture will cause the corrosive effect. Thus a well done paint coat should prevent such issues.

Anyone have real time experience with painted stainless steel?
Old 07-02-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sealant and fiberglass generally don't bond to the stainless steel to the same degree paint does. Water intrusion beyond a sealant is a pretty common thing on a boat, especially if the part is under cyclic loads. That means that water will get in, but not a constant flow of it... which is ideal conditions for crevice corrosion to set in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiXeVeN View Post
That is encouraging. Although I am confused why there is such a warning about sealing stainless fasteners under fiberglass or sealant. The generally accepted reason is low oxygen tension causing corrosion. However, as you said, you need some oxygen to bond with the iron to make rust. Perhaps it is not that the fastener is deprived of oxygen completely it is that the fiberglass or sealant is not tightly bonded to the metal and thus any penetrating moisture will cause the corrosive effect. Thus a well done paint coat should prevent such issues.

Anyone have real time experience with painted stainless steel?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough

A cotten wheel and a compound stick will buff it MUCH faster than painting it

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat