SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cleaning bottom by heeling boat over.

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  hellosailor 
#1 ·
I've seen sport boats go completely 90* to clean their bottoms but I wanted to know if a slightly larger boat can do this as well. My rigging, to me, seems a bit on the light side and I didn't want something to let go while I was in the water next to it.

Boat is a Merit 25. Mast height is about 34' with a 4' draft. So 38' total "lever length"? 1050lbs in her keel.

I know I can hire I diver, but I do race a lot and being able to clean my own bottom not only saves money, but I know I'll do a good job. Can my rig support a 45* angle for 40 minutes per side?

#2 · (Edited)
You will find it surprisingly difficult to "lay over" your Merit 25. We had a similar Martin 242, 2500lbs with 700 in the keel, and it was all we could do winching the spin halyard to pull her over 20-25 degrees. btw do use the spinn halyard, not the main, as it's designed to be led off to the side.

If your boat can handle a broach or a knockdown under sail without coming apart (as it should), there's no reason to worry about inducing the same kind of heel any other way.. the forces are essentially the same.

But with the right dock situation, getting the boat over even 20 deg makes it a lot easier to scrub a larger portion of the bottom, and with clear water and a long brush handle, a better shot at getting to the keel.

#5 ·
I know I won't be as good as a diver, as I can't hold my breath that long and refuse to tie weights to myself while in water. But cleaning the bottom myself, is better than a dirty bottom or talking my friends or crew into doing it. The only way to find a trustworthy diver, is to dive on the boat yourself after the work has been done. If I could dive, I wouldn't need to find a diver.

#9 ·
Why not dive it yourself

zz4gta,

I know this time you're at the mercy of someone else to dive the boat for you. But, you should be planning for the future. Do you want to forever be at the mercy of your diver's schedule?

This is what I've learned when cleaning the bottom of my boat...yes I dive it myself:

1) You can reach 1/2 to 3/4 of the wetted surface using a long poled deck brush.
2) Unfortunately, the area you can reach generally is NOT where barnicles like to grow (especially if the bottom of your keel sits in the mud at low tide)
3) I couldn't find the necessary "tools" needed to clean the bottom. I was able to make my own easily enough using a concrete float (wooden tool used to smooth concrete) and glueing cleaning pads onto it).
4) To get the barnicles off the prop, shaft, or really bad areas; I use a plasic putty knife and it seems to work well--although you'll need a new one for each dive.

The cheapest way to dive your boat would be the HOOKAH device. I'd still recommend you take a dive class before using one as you could actually kill yourself (even with a HOOKAH) if you don't know what you're doing.

If you're really desperate and in the SF Bay area, PM me. If I'm free (meaning available), I'll emergency dive your boat. I don't make it a habit of diving other's boats, but will occasionally do a one-timer. No, I don't run any kind of business diving boats...I just know how to dive, am "certified" and have all my own gear.

Skipper, J/36 "Zero Tolerance"

PS If you are going to use a deck brush, use caution as you can damage things like speed sensor and/or brush away the bottom paint. Also, a deck brush won't tell you what your zincs look like.

#14 ·
Careening a boat to clean the bottom is rare these days, mainly because there are so few convenient places to do it. (And folks will be reporting a boat has capsized when they see you.)

Since travel time can kill the profits and reputation counts, you'll usually find one or two bottom cleaners work one achnorage or marina. Ask around for a recommendation, and if you want to check on it, just get a mask and pop down afterwards to eyeball it.

Bottom cleaning yourself is going to be a slow and dirty job. If you use SCUBA, refilling the tanks is often an expensive and timely nuisance. Hooka, another cost. I've been tempted to sail into a "bib" of black vinyl and just dose it with bleach to keep the growth down. Except, I've got a nagging feeling the fiberglass and steel would eventually complain about all that bleach. (G)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.