Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-02-2009
Coastal Traveler

nereussailor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nereussailor
Compass Repair, HELP

Has anyone used a company called Island Compass South out of South Carolina?
I'm beginning to wonder if it's a legitimate company or not. On their website Island Compass South for compass repair adjusting and sales, magnets and adjustor supplies they seem to be a legit company, but their business practices are pretty lame. Before I sent the compass, I called to see if they could fix it. Asa (the Owner)said send it in and he'd take a look at it and get me a quote. I sent my compass there over a month ago. I was never contacted about whether they had recieved it or not. They did receive it, He finally returned a call after I left multiple messages. and said that he got it, but that was it.
I still haven't heard a quote from them, which I expected within a few days. At this point, I'm not going to say whether anyone should use them or not, but let you make your own decision.

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ahh...too bad...Steve Colt who had the business in FL apparently sold it to this new guy in SC.
It used to be the BEST place to send a good compass!! Let us know how this turns out.
Old 07-02-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Cam has it right, when I sent Steve my old glass domed compass he offered to buy it for $240 or fix it for me for $150.00. It looks and works like new.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-03-2009
Coastal Traveler

Hi all,

Asa finally got back to me last night and apologized for taking so long. He said that his Blackberry took a swim in the harbor and that all of his messages were forwarded to it automatically. He got a new one yesterday and had a bunch of messages waiting when he fired it up. He also said that my compass is almost done and that all he needed to do was fill it and check it. It should be shipped out today if everything is ok.
I'm not sure if I'm buying the answer, but if the compass gets shipped today, I'll consider it.
From what I gather, it's really hard to find someone that is reliable to fix a compass. There seems to be a lot of people that do it, but finding someone that is good and quick is hard to do. How would a person learn the art of repairing and rebuilding compasses? I'd be interested in doing it.

Dave
Old 07-17-2009

bearing is on a distinguished road
Island Compass South is a family company now on their third generation. Asa who runs the shop now has been well trained and is developing quite a reputation. He provides some of the supplies that we compass adjusters use in the trade. Search google for magnetic compass repairs and you will find most of us listed.
bill
Old 07-17-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dave...have you now received your compass back? How did the repair turn out?
Old 07-17-2009

Neicy is on a distinguished road
About 2-3 yrs ago I sent a compass to Connecticut Compass and was very pleased with their prices and service. Still Am. Can forward address, phone if anyone interested.
Old 07-17-2009
Coastal Traveler

Compass

Well, I finally got it back on Wednesday, July 14th. This whole thing has been a nightmare. And Island Compass South should be on the naughty vendor list.
When I opened the box that the compass was sent in, and pulled out the compass, the light visor was in a hundred pieces. and the new globe had a scratch from the broken visor. The box wasn't damaged, on the outside, and the compass was wrapped in bubble wrap, foam sheets, some type of batting, and crumpled newspaper. It seemed packaged good so I'm placing the blame on UPS. The first thing that I did was to send an email with pictures to Island Compass, then I called UPS and filed a claim. they were also going to contact Island Compass. It's been three days, and I haven't heard a word.
Here's the whole scenerio from day one. The compass was sent on May 28th and recieved on June 1st, No word from Island Compass South until I made several phone calls to them on June 14th. Then the only thing I heard was Yes I got it. On July 1st I called a few more times with no return call for three days. Then the return call was "It's almost done, I'm waiting for the paint to dry before I fill it". " I should have it filled tomorrow and I'll send it out right away". 6th of July, I get a call saying that the card has some defects, and that he jewel needs to be replaced. and that it would cost a total of $217 and change to fix it right. and that's with discounted labor. I told him to fix it, gave him my credit card numbers and it finally showed up on the 14th.
All I have to say is If you lie to your customers, you won't have them for long, and the chances for getting business from them decreases really fast.
I wouldn't recommend Island Compass South to anyone who wants a compass repaired. His uncle really screwed up turning the business over to him. I'm sorry that Steve's nephew isn't living up to his uncles name, and shame on you Asa for not taking care of the business that your uncle sold or gave to you.

Dave
Old 07-17-2009
moderate?

Thanks for the update Dave. Too bad all around.
Old 07-17-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearing View Post
Island Compass South is a family company now on their third generation. Asa who runs the shop now has been well trained and is developing quite a reputation. He provides some of the supplies that we compass adjusters use in the trade. Search google for magnetic compass repairs and you will find most of us listed.
bill
I can't help but wonder how you are related to Island Compass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten