Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2009

Hunter07 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Need ideas to remove a stainless screw from aluminum

I thought I would seek wisdom, I have a couple of new rope clutches for my C30 and I need to remove the old hardware. I figure after 21 yrs what I think is a stainless screw in an aluminum backing plate have become "one". The guy from Garhauer, the manufacture of the old clutch and the new thinks the screw may be more stuck to the base of the clutch than the inbeded aluminum plate. I need to pack all tools I have before I head to the boat tomorrow and figure I should get some good ammo here. Any and all ideas welcome. The net - net is a most likely stainless screw from Catalina (correct me if I'm wrong) screwed into an aluminum plate + 21 yrs. I would like to save the threads in the hole so a total drill-out is a last resort because of re tapping and going up to a bigger screw.

Catalina 30 MKII TRBS 1988
Long beach,CA.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
PB Blaster and a screw extractor. Also maybe a heat gun or a torch.

Apply the PB Blaster and let it sit a while, then try the screw. If no luck, apply heat and cold a few times. if still no luck, try the screw extractor.
Old 07-09-2009

suntrek is on a distinguished road
I' had god results with penetrating oil, apply for few hours in 1/2 hour intervals, then use impact driver, but make sure that driver bit fits bolt head snugly. press hard, otherviseyou strip the head.
Good luck!
Old 07-09-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Add an Impact wrench and a propane torch to the kit....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
And a half a stick of dynamite! (and a 6-pack)

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 07-09-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Bolt extractor

You need a small device called a bolt extractor. They come in several sizes just as do easy-outs but work far better. It's a small tool with a small drill bit on one end and a reverse threaded, tapered extractor bit on the other. You drill a small hole in the screw head with the bit, reverse the tool and engage the extractor with the drill in reverse and unscrew the stuck screw. Works very well as I've been using one lately in my deck refurbishment task.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 07-10-2009

Hunter07 is on a distinguished road
Ok, I headed to the boat armed with PB blaster (great stuff never heard of it before but it rocks), a small torch, drill and EZ outs, impact driver, and an angle grinder if it got really nasty. I was loaded for BEAR! I shot a squirt of PB blaster on all four screws and it soaked through around the screws and out the bottom of the rope clutch. Had a beer and went to town. First three screws came out with just a screwdriver and one took a hit from the impact driver. Removed everything and cleaned it up, drilled and tapped the holes (love the embedded aluminum plates on my Catalina). Mounted the new triple rope clutches and all is well. Nice bedding job on the original install because the stainless screws came out in pristine condition. Thanks all for the ideas but it turned out to be pretty easy. PB blaster is one to remember.

Catalina 30 MKII TRBS 1988
Long beach,CA.
Old 07-10-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Put Tef-Gel on the stainless screws before putting them back into the aluminum. I bought a syringe of the stuff last fall before extensive mods and have only used an inch plus. Great stuff.
Old 07-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, use either TefGel, which can be hard to find, or LanoCote, which is considerably easier to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatsome View Post
Put Tef-Gel on the stainless screws before putting them back into the aluminum. I bought a syringe of the stuff last fall before extensive mods and have only used an inch plus. Great stuff.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
I'd use blue Loctite. Lubrication is nice, but I still don't want the screws to work loose!

Gary H. Lucas