Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
clever idea for solar hook up

well it might be clever and it might be new, i dont know, mostly the second part

as i said i was given a 45 watt solar panel, and i just picked up a controller for it. my 12 volt panel on my boat has a spare spot for a breaker or fuse, so what i plan on doing is putting a fuse holder in the empty spot and running the solar panel thru it. this allows me to connect the output from the controller right to the main bus, have it fuse protected, as well as a pretty fast way to disconnect the panel is i need to, just by turning the cover off the fuse holder. but it is not as easy to shut off as bumping a switch, but has a nice ... opps i turned it off and now i have a dead battery.

what i really like about this is its simple, and will allow me to do something like hook up a out side air vent fan on the solar panel side of the controller that will run off the panel only but not the battery, and only during the day ( think 12 volt computer fan over the cowl vents ). the load will be nothing and i wont need to mess with it at all for a very cheap price. something like this which has close to 40 cfm for a 3 watt max load for 15 bucks. now thats 2400 cf hour compared 700 cf hour for a nicro solar ( non battery ) at 120 or so. now my ides might not be truely 2400 cfh but even at 50 % its still better
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like a ready-made trickle charger if you have the right set point for house voltage. Can you not use it better as a trickle charger, though, straight into the batteries from the controller, and then just wire a vent from the spare breaker? Then you get the right voltage going into the batts, and the drawdown will barely eat into the net gain.