Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Trouble shooting wind instrument.

I have a ST60 Raymarine wind instrument. The wind speed indicator suddenly stopped working, and the numbers were replaced by dashes. The wind direction indicator still works, as do the instrument lights. Very little info in documentation. Can I use a multi tester to determine if a signal is getting to the instrument. If so, how. Seems like the best place to start. Other trouble shooting methods?

Last edited by L124C; 02-19-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
As I understand it, there's a connector at the top, where the transducers plug into the cable? From what I've read, that's usually the problem.

You might try getting a DeoxIT and ProGold kit, treat following the instructions, and see if that doesn't clear it up. Sometimes those products work miracles.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 07-10-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Removed redundancy
Old 07-10-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
this is why i replaced my ST60 gear...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
this is why i replaced my ST60 gear...
Yeah, I know. Thing is: When you have other ST60+ gear, like we do (depth, knotmeter), it's the only logical way to go. But I'll be honest: Tho I'd like to have a wind instrument, I'm not pushing for it. I'm not pushing for it because: 1. I can't really justify spending even what the ST60+ wind instrument would cost and 2. Given the ST60's notoriously poor service record, I'm not inclined to push for even that.

So we'll live w/o it.

Raymarine's ST60+ wind instrument is a perfect example of what's wrong with American-made products these days: It's pretty obviously broken-by-design, and, just as obviously, Raymarine is disinclined to fix the design.

Jim
Old 07-10-2009

robfinora is on a distinguished road
sounds like the motor in the wind-speed device at the masthead needs to be replaced or rebuilt. Can you get up there? Look online and you will find a shop that will rebuild the masthead unit motor. I had the same thing do down on my unit (I am drawing a blank on the brand) - I had an older unit and the manufacture went out of business. I was able to get it fixed online. It cost about $50.
Old 07-31-2009

AFTER going aloft and removing the instrument, I had the brainstorm to go to the Raymarine website (duh!!) . They have a pretty good system for troubleshooting. It includes a simple test to see if the the transducer is supplying power to the read out (and vise versa), which is what I was looking for. Sadly, the transducer is in my hand! I could actually rig something up to test it in the cockpit, but it would be a hassle. Oh well, off to the shop to get it repaired. From the responses in this thread it sounds like the odds are good it's the transducer, but if it's not, I'll feel pretty silly!

Last edited by L124C; 01-03-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2010

To follow through on this topic. Raymarine didn't find anything wrong with the transducer. I remounted it, and performed the test referred to earlier in the post. It indicated the instrument itself had a problem. Sent the instrument to Raymarine and FINALY got it back (after several months and three phone calls). They fixed it for a flat rate of $199. Just installed it and I'm still looking at dashes (same problem)! I'll update when I figure it out. I can safely say at this point though, expediency and communication in customer service is not Raymarine's strong point.
Old 02-07-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd bet it is a wiring issue. Chances are pretty good that you've got a broken wire or corrosion between the masthead and the display. The most likely culprit is the deck fitting where you connect and disconnect the mast wiring when unstepping/stepping the mast. Have you tried connecting the masthead transducer directly to the instrument head.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-11-2010

Grrrrrrr!

Put a multimeter on the red connection of the instrument which supplies power to the masthead. Apparently, it should read 8 volts, it was reading around 2.93, same as when I first sent it to Raymarine! Only now, I don't have wind direction, which I did before! Sent them a e-mail yesterday, have yet to hear back. I can hear it now... "Well, send it back to us (In Massachusetts) an we'll be happy to take another look at it"!
Then..... I can imagine my next call; Hello, VISA?...about that $200 charge from Raymarine.....
I hope I'm wrong!

Last edited by L124C; 02-11-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2010

Raymarine/Customer Service?

Everything I've heard about Raymarine's customer service has turned out to be true. Their communication is terrible (often non existent!), and I've come to the conclusion they don't know how to fix their products. The funny thing is, the ST60 is a basic unit compared to what they are selling now! Anyway, I went round and round with them. They finally tried to blame the issue on the cable (of course, it was the only thing they hadn't worked on!). I was doubtful because the wind direction didn't work when I received the screen back from Raymarine (and it did when I sent it to them). I played along and went back up the mast and checked continuity on all 5 wires. All had continuity. Raymarine's answer was for me to send BOTH, the screen and mast head unit back to them (again)! I asked them if the wanted me to rip the cable out of the boat and send it as well so they could evaluate the whole package! I told them, forget about it, and to give me my $200 back! Until I replace the unit with one from another manufacture, I'll leave it in my console. I'll tell everybody who asks why it doesn't work about my experience with Raymarine's "Customer Service". In the meantime, when my rail starts going under water, I'll reef, and when the boat stops moving, I'll let out more sail and/or start the motor! But for now...I'm done with the instrument, and with Raymarine forever!

Last edited by L124C; 02-19-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.