Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I agree that the cafamro (sp??) are better. Dad has the Hellas and we move more air.

However, I also replace a bunch of blades, including just his last weekend. All but one time it was due to the kids playing with them or not paying attention. If they hit something that stops the blades for any period of time, they basically melt the plastic inside and you are going to end up replacing the blade.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2009

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Anybody used the Caframo 747/757 model? Its the one with no guard, just the blades. I was checking fans at WM this past weekend and it seemed to move the most air of the models they had on display. It was also very quiet which is why we are considering replacing the fans on our boat.
Old 07-14-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I just bought a couple at walmart. About 12 inches square. You can put batteries in them or use a 120 volt plug. The great thing it the transformer reduces the power to 12 volts so I cut the 120 volt transformer off and installed a 12 volt plug. Works great, quiet. Not high quality but for $20 works great
Old 07-15-2009
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
I have owned the hella "boat fan" (not the turbo), on the last boat. I hated running them because of the noise. They stood up well though.

Would definitely look for something quieter this time.

Another option is to use computer case fans

They are cheap ($2-20), there are a million types and they all run on 12v so you just hook them up to a switch and go. Better still since silent and low power draw computers are all the rage they always list their cubic foot per minute flow rate, their db sound rating and amp draw. They are available from 1.5"-6" or larger. Not all look the same either. This one is 8" diameter "silent" and $22:

Or this 14inch monster, which moves 129CFM silently(22db) drawing 500ma

Google "computer case fan" or try PC Case Fans and Cooling Fans at Xoxide.com - Computer Case Fans

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 07-15-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-15-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on where you are mounting them. The Caframo Boras are a better fan and have three speeds and an electronic switch versus the two-speed Hella Turbo and a mechanical switch, but for bulkhead mounting, the Turbos are better, since they pivot at the center of the fan diameter, rather than the base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman181 View Post
I am in need of several fans and want opinions on air flow and current draw.Fans are for the cabin of a C & C 32', deciding between the Caframo Bora Fan, and the Hella Turbo......any recomendations........Thanks

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-16-2009

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
I have been using these Guest fans for years. A little pricey, but they move air and can be set to oscillate.

Old 10-25-2012

S/V Arabesque is on a distinguished road
Re: Cabin Fans

I would find it very usefull if Medsailor could post a couple of photo's using the cpu fans
Old 10-25-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have these Caframo 2 speed no gaurds....none needed.....55 amps..moveable especially with additional clip..279cfm max air moved, hard wired or 12v plug
advantages----moveable, can use plug, and easiest to clean ( all fan blades get dirty its amazing). Can store them out of the way when not in use

CAFRAMO Two-Speed Compact 12V DC Fan, White at West Marine

Caframo Boras- also good...... .27 amps. fixed , hard wired 275 cfm max air moved
CAFRAMO Bora Three-Speed Fans at West Marine

Caframo Scirraco
also good .25 amps, fixed mount, hard wired 240 cfm max air moved
CAFRAMO Sirocco Cabin Fans at West Marine

Hella
Not as powerful. .1amp draw, fixed mount, hard wired,150 cfm air moved
HELLA MARINE 12V & 24V Turbo Fans at West Marine

dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 10-25-2012

Location: Utah (House & Macgregor 26 Classic) -- Florida (Endeavour 37)
Sumner10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Arabesque View Post
I would find it very usefull if Medsailor could post a couple of photo's using the cpu fans
We tried those...

....and were not happy at all.

We have a number of the Caframo on both boats and really like those. We use....

....the ones with the timers in the V-berth. A lot of nights we just need the air while we go asleep so we set them on the 2 hours and they go off then. As we moved into summer we went to 4 hours then 6 then 8.

You can also position those...

...to any direction you want.

We hardly ever run them off of low and they don't use much more power vs. ......

...the very inefficient CPU fans. .21 amps for the Caframo vs. .13 amps for the CPU fan above. There is no comparison on the air they move. You can only feel the CPU just inches from you and the Caframo from feet away.

There is more info and pictures on the CPU and the Caframo on our site here....

Macgregor 26S Inside Mods page 31

Last summer Home Depot had the open face Caframo's on sale for $25 and that is when we bought about 6 that we use around the cabin during the day.

I'm going to keep a couple in the boat that will run when we are gone to help with mildew protection. They will be on a low voltage cutoff relay that we got for not much money and they will turn on/off according to battery level and we have solar on the batteries,

Sum

====================================

Our 37 Endeavour --- Our 26 MacGregor --- Trips With Both

sww914 likes this.

Last edited by Sumner10; 10-25-2012 at 04:50 PM.