SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cabin Fans (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/56171-cabin-fans.html)

fireman181 07-13-2009 05:10 PM

Cabin Fans

I am in need of several fans and want opinions on air flow and current draw.Fans are for the cabin of a C & C 32', deciding between the Caframo Bora Fan, and the Hella Turbo......any recomendations........Thanks

WouldaShoulda 07-13-2009 05:15 PM

I just got me a fan recently to supplement the 12volt while at dock.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...054948_300.jpg

It gets the air out!!

GentleBreeze 07-13-2009 05:26 PM

Replacement Fans

Have the Hella Turbo's on my 87 vintage boat. Although they have held up well through the years, I will be replacing them with Caframo. The Caframo move more air than my Hella's. The only problem I have had was to have to replace the blades on one when the blades came in contact with the wall when I was not there to catch it. The blade kit is available via West Marine at a reasonable price. Might check the West marine catalog for amp draw on both to see if there is a big difference.

bacampbe 07-13-2009 11:45 PM

I have Caframo Bora's on my Bene 31. They don't seem to draw much power, and I like the fact that if I turn the breaker off and back on, the fans stay off until i turn them on manually. It cuts down the chance of accidentally wasting power on a cabin fan that I didn't know was running. (They're quiet enough for that to happen.)

scottyt 07-14-2009 12:08 AM

i have some walmart "clip" on fans on my boat. i wired them into the lights, and they come with solid mounts for a more perminate mounting. they draw about 3/4 amp and they move way more air then anything west has, but they are noisey. but i like the noisey, both the wife and i need some noise to sleep, and they are about perfect, they are a perfect white noise generator

bloodhunter 07-14-2009 09:04 AM

Replaced my fans with Caframo Boras. they move a lot of air, don't draw much current (especially at the lower speeds) and are quiet quiet quiet. The last was the deciding factor as my wife could not sleep with the Hella fan we had in the v-berth. She's happy now and making her happy is what it's all about

labatt 07-14-2009 01:38 PM

We have the Hella Turbo's. We looked at several Caframo's and just found that the Hella's pushed a hellava (good pun, eh?) lot more air, especially when placed close to walls or corners. The only two things we don't like about them are: 1) The open back makes it so you can sometimes catch your fingers in the blade - more of a surprise to you than anything else, and 2) The way the power wire leads off of them can make it easy to get caught in the blades. I've solved item #2 by putting screw in zip ties just above the fan and leaving some slack on the wire. Then, as you rotate the fan to point it where you want, you can adjust the length of the wire while still keeping it taught. The company also seems to stand behind their product - I've had a motor die 6 months after buying the fan and they've sent me a new one. We have 8 of these around our boat.

jbondy 07-14-2009 02:59 PM

FWIW We got the Caframo Sirocco fans. I can't recommend due to the metal cage around the fan blades. They didn't stand up to the marine environment and started to rust almost immediately. Otherwise ...

MJBrown 07-14-2009 04:46 PM

Went with Camfrano 3 speeds. Quieter, cheaper, less power consumption than the Hellas I had on the previous boat.

Maine Sail 07-14-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman181 (Post 504995)
I am in need of several fans and want opinions on air flow and current draw.Fans are for the cabin of a C & C 32', deciding between the Caframo Bora Fan, and the Hella Turbo......any recomendations........Thanks

Bora hands down!! I've owned both..