Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-14-2009

lambchop27 is on a distinguished road
C&C 25', standing rigging replacement

Anyone know where I can find the specs for replacing my standing rigging? I'm in VA and my little boat is in FL. Apparently, there were a few slightly different versions of the C&C 25 and I'm not sure which one mine is. Mine was built in 1972. The mast is 30' 2" long. Does anyone know if there are any variations in the standing rigging specs for the different versions? I believe the rigging is the original and it's about time for replacement...
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Lambchop!

I'm at work right now but when I get back home later tonight or tomorow I'll dig up some links for you.

Right now what comes to my mind is the C&C Photo Album web site
C&C Yachts - C&C Photo Album & Resource Center

The C&C listers will also probably jump on this as well.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I have a J24 and with 5000+ built there is still no such thing as a STANDARD lenth in fact my mast was built with the wrong size pin in the headstay and backstay which the rigger pointed out and was corrected

As a result IF you want a trouble free job the rigger will copy your old parts and advise to anything that can be inproved on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2009

Thanks for your responses. I agree and would only replace the rigging using the old stuff as a template. I'm trying to get an idea of the potential cost and for that I would need the specs. I've owned the boat for the last 25 years (my little boat spent one of those years in Chesapeake Beach), and I haven't done anything to the standing rigging. I'm fairly certain that the former owner didn't modify anything either. I looked at the C&C site and it looks like the only information available would be to buy the owner's manual. But does the manual contain the rigging specs? It's not clear from the site info. I emailed C&C a week ago and have yet to receive a response.Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
Mine ran 700 dollars with 3/16 wire and 6 open body turnbuckles

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-14-2009

Thanks-
That's very helpful. I would guess my stays are 3/16ths also, but I'm not certain. My mast is 30' 2" - that's probably close to a J24's mast, right? Also, that was through a rigger and not done yourself, right?
Old 07-14-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I have a J24 and with 5000+ built there is still no such thing as a STANDARD lenth in fact my mast was built with the wrong size pin in the headstay and backstay which the rigger pointed out and was corrected

As a result IF you want a trouble free job the rigger will copy your old parts and advise to anything that can be inproved on

tommays has it exactly right. You really wouldn't be well advised to have a rig built from any "standard" specs.
Wait until you have a chance to either measure or better yet, remove it and have it duplicated.
Old 07-14-2009

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
I know it'a bigger boat, but hopefully this will give you some reference: I paid an internet vendor roughly $850 to fabricate new rigging for my Catlaina 30. It has a 40' mast and uses 1/4" and 5/16"wire with 8 turnbuckles. I put it up myself with the help of my marina's yard crane. I then had the thing checked by a local rigger to make sure I hadn't screwed anything up. Total cost for all, $1,250. Quotes from riggers all came in at $2,500 to $3,000. Definitely pattern from the old rigging, but take into consideration where the turnbuckles are set. If the old wires have stretched, and you make the new wires to match, you'll quickly run out of adjusting room as the new wire sets in.
Old 07-16-2009

Thanks for the responses. I'm seriously considering doing the job myself. I have a rigger that has offered to help me out and check my work. Anybody have any tips or advice? I'm planning on using Sta-locks.
Old 07-16-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
I replaced my rig on my 24' Islander for a whopping $40... just a reminder to consider galvanized!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.