SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dockline failure from snubber

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  pdqaltair 
#1 ·
A few month's ago my number on the waiting list finally came up at the community marina so in I went. Not the best slip as it is somewhat exposed to the south during a blow (15 to 20 K +). Chop can approach 10 to 12" at worst. My boat is an oday 34.

I decided that snubbers from Custom Rubber Corp where in order to smooth out the surge during any weather so they were installed on bow and stern lines. I used some 1/2" braided line that although not new was in decent shape. At the time, I was not concerned that this line is not the stretchy
type but is more appropriate for halyards etc. I figured that the snubber stretch was enough.

Well, one morning a couple of months later to my horror (after a blow overnight from the south) the starboard bow and stern lines had chafed thru and failed! My saving grace was that I listened to my gut instinct and had put backup lines on in case of a primary (snubbed) line failure. Otherwise my boat could have sustained severe damage.

The lines had chafed thru the snubber end where it takes a couple of sharp bends (see pic). I contacted custom rubber and they where responsive. I sent two snubbers and parted line back to them. Since then they have cited that the snubbers where used "improperly "

Custom Rubber Corp said:"After reviewing the circumstances of where and how your boat was docked, we found that our snubbers did not fail due to a part defect. We found that the appropriate dock lines for the environment were not being used.Our snubbers stand up to diverse weather and sea conditions, but only when used with an appropriate dock line"

Another engineer at CRC suggested that the snubbers where not made for such conditions. Huh?

So I remain in a quandry. Would three strand dockline have made a difference? My feeling is that chafe would have occurred with any line. There is no disclaimer and info about dockline type to be used with them anywhere in the instructions or website. Input please!

PS: I have since moved the boat to a better slip and have three strand 5/8" docline with NO snubbers!
Thanks
Fred

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Have been using three strand nylon lines with similar snubbers for more than 10 years without any problems.

My guess is in line with earlier reactions: you have used the wrong line (looking at the pictures the lines you used are intended to be used as sheets and are low stretch).

#13 ·
Fred, I'd also expect thta using halyard for dock lines would be problematic--with or without snubbers.

HOWEVER. If those guys really just sold the snubbers without even bothering to put in a note that says "For use with 3-strand manila dockline or braided nylon dockline only!"

I would still gently remind them that in this quaint corner of the world, even a hot dog manufacturer is responsible for expecting any reasonable use of his product. A frozen hot dog makes a lousy hammer...but if the package doesn't say "Don't do this!" you just know that someone IS going to do it.

Product will fail if the un-taught un-experienced user simply buys it and uses it in a likely manner? Yeah, they should be nice enough to replace your snubbers, and take the gentle hint about molding in a warning message on the new ones.

Before the next guy sues 'em for the loss of a Bertram, and wins it.

#15 ·
Thanks all for your input. Seems that I am learning a hard lesson here about different types of line and their proper use. I was under the naive impression that most boat line was nylon but now know that polyproplene is used ( I assume for the low stretch apps). And I thought poly was just used on my ski boat tow lines! Doesn't poly degrade rather fast in sunlight? So the concensus is that my mistake was using poly vs nylon and not braid vs 3 strand? Is nylon line made for low stretch applications? Best, fred

PS: I still think the manufacturer should put a note in the literature to only use nylon dockline!

#16 · (Edited)
argofred...

There's lot more to lines than just nylon and polyproplene. Get a copy of West Marine's catalog and look at what they offer and the advice that they give. Polyproplene (in general except where you want a floating line such as a ski rope) is a horrible line for boats...little shock absorbing stretch and deteriorates extremely fast (i.e. looses its strength) when exposed to sunlight. There are two basic lines for boating today .. first is nylon for dock lines and anchor rodes...strong, elastic to absorb shock. Comes in several make ups with three strand or double braided mosty common. Both stretch, but double braid stetches less but stays more flexible so it's easier to handle. Either one works for dock lines. If you are in a rough spot, be sure to have extra lines of a suitable size. Working load of lines is normally about 15% of breaking strength. Chafe, not line strength is going to be your worry, so protect the line anywhere the line will rub on something or take a sharp turn around an object. Polyester has comparable strength to nylon but less stretch...there are lots of variations by manufacturers to get less stretch for halyards, so don't use these for dock lines (except in severe storm conditions as backups to nylon lines when you have no other lines ...and then use them slacker than the nylon lines. There are a whole range of new exotic new special application line types that have been developed for halyards and other applications where very high strength and very low stretch is desired....these lines are extremely expensive and usually of little concern for the average, non racing sailor. None are suitable for dock lines. Stay away from the cheap "poly" lines that are also sometimes labeled nylon that are sold in some non boating stores...most short cut the manufacturing steps needed for good line and often use significant amount of polyproplene....which looses strength in sunlight.

#22 ·
Well, sigma, that's why we have tort laws and juries to decide just what is and isn't reasonable. Don't confuse my statement that there IS a ground for liability, with agreeing that there should or shouldn't be one.

I'm just saying that the Snubber folks owe the OP a debt of gratitude, for reminding them that their product could easily and inexpensively be made safer--for the snubber company! not just the user.

To sell something that folks have never used, have no instructions for how to use it, and then not expect disaster, is simply naive.

Besides, hammers aren't a good analogy. You are aware that since 2008, it has been illegal to sell roofing nails and hammers or any type in the united States unless the purchaser shows proof of having taken a "Impact Tool Safety Training Course" and completing it with a passing grade? You can't just buy a hammer in the hardware store anymore, you have to be of age and licensed.

#23 ·
Haha, good one. If you have to be licensed to use hammers shouldn't you also be licensed to combine lines and snubber?

Seriously: I am glad to be Dutch (and blunt) and not have to be afraid of being sued for issues we would simply laugh about.

On Topic: If you look around the average marina it is amazing how many people think they can use their used sheets some more as mooring lines. Even when using the 'wrong' type of line it is amazing how it just seemed to have snapped.

#24 ·
I'd highly recommend reading this post I wrote on Docklines. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.