SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Lewmar ST winches - too easy to come apart?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  topcat2 
#1 ·
I just bought a Lewmar 16ST, and found out that unlike the 16ST on my old boat which required unscrewing four machine screws to take it apart, the new version has a plastic cap that unscrews and then the self-tailer can come right out.

This bothers me; it seems like it is too easy to come apart. One plastic screw-on cap with no locking device of any kind is all that keeps parts from coming out. My application is on the mast, horizontally mounted, so it especially bothers me that one plastic screw-on cap is all that stops parts from falling out and going overboard.

I'm considering taking back the winch and getting another brand. Am I overreacting? Is this really a good design?

Brian Stipak
Portland, Oregon

#3 · (Edited)
Your are speaking of the older Wave grip vs the new wave spring. I have 3 of the wave spring on our boat for 10 years and not 1 problem. If fact I been on sailnet for years and have never heard of anyone else have a problem with them. I am sure they are standard equipment 10 of thousands of sailboats that are built every year as they were on mine. If there was a problem we would have heard about by now because I think they started this design in 1992.

Lewmar Winch Schematics

#4 ·
IIRC, the plastic screw-on cap still covers four screws that hold the wave-guide self-tailing rings in place.... so, yes, you're overreacting IMHO.

#5 ·
On my Lewmar ST winches there is the same thing you describe, a screw on ring (kind of) that holds it together. No other screws at all.

I have never had a problem at all, and I really like it. Its very easy to take the winch open for service. I used to check mine to make sure they stayed tight, but they had never come loose so I slacked off. I like it.

#6 ·
lewmar ocean screw top

Hi Brian
Some background info for you.
When the ocean design was introduced aprox 18 years ago, the top cap was Brass material chromed, with an 'o' ring on the underside.
The 'o' ring acted as a good locking mechanism between chrome Feeder arm and the top cap, if fact it required a little grease on the 'o' ring otherwise the top cap was VERY hard to unscrew.
Some when in the last couple of years Lewmar have changed some models to a plastic top cap.( cost reduction)
I am not sure how secure the new plastic cap is, does it have an 'o' ring under it as well.
suggest if you have any problems , you replace the topcap with a chrome one. they would not come undone unless you wanted it to.( they were bullet proof.)
If i can help you further , please let me know
Regards --TOPCAT2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.