Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-20-2009

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Catalina 22 Shroud Sizing

I have a 1988 Catalina 22'. The current shrouds are 5/32" diameter. There seems to be a lack of information on the web about the sizing for standing rigging. Does anyone know if 5/32" is the factory size? Could someone please speak of the advantages / disadvantages of increasing the diameter? I don't race and the additional weight may be of little significance to me.

Also, I'm planning to purchase a Loos rig tensioner. Anyone know the differences between the standard and pro models? The price for the pro model is about 50% more.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2009

75R20 is on a distinguished road
5/32" sounds correct, but checking with the vessel manufacturer would be a good idea.
As far as the Loos tensioner goes, the difference is a big one, the price difference is more like 20%, and the "Pro" model is worth it in my opinion. Check the Loos web site for an explanation of the differences.

Kary
Old 07-21-2009

C22 Rigging

For any other C22 owners: I just talked to a Catalina tech rep on the phone. He said that the original wire sizing for a 1988 Catalina 22 would have been 1/8". He also said that 1/8" was oversized already with no need to increase the sizing on refits.
Old 07-29-2009

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
I was suprised to find that 1/8 is recommended for your C-22. I have a Hunter 20 that has 1/8 and I was considering going to 5/32 until I read your post. The mast is 29.5 feet on my Hunter..a long skinny mast that flexes alot and I think that it may be longer than alot of 22 foot boats...For this reason i thought the 1/8 they used originally may have been a bit light. I have even looked at used catalina 22 sails for my boat and may end up with some when I re-canvas.Good luck with the 1/8 on your C-22..as long as we are using good quality wire rope and fittngs and keep them clean and lubricated against corrosion we should be okay.
Old 07-30-2009

souljour... the only problem that I could imagine with going to 5/32" wire would depend on your tensioning practices. I just bought a loos tensioner (hasn't been delivered yet), and it seems that the standard practice is to tension the shrouds to a certain percentage of breaking strength. Are your chainplates overbuilt to withstand the extra force if you load up 5/32" wire?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.