Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-21-2009

brianontheroad is on a distinguished road
2 part poly prep with primer (awlgrip/perfection)

I'm working on prepping out my deck/cabin top/etc. to roll and tip using interlux's perfection two part poly paint, I have Epoxy Primekote that I plan on priming before painting (2 coats) my question is with a two part epoxy and primer do you have to sand all the way to bare fiberglass or sand all the old paint off with some bare fiberglass showing?

I'll post pics of my prep work thus far tomorrow, but this question is for those of you who have painted with a two part poly and primer before -- I do not have a two part poly deck, I have no idea what it was previously painted with but it's probably been 12+ years since it was painted......how far did you sand? 0 previous paint? did it look like it was freshly glassed or did you get it smooth and most of the old paint off and prime?

Thanks!
Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
IF its NOT a compatible paint the two part will lift the OLD paint

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2009

what about the primer?

can you prime this or does it all need to be bare fiberglass

From Boat Stuff
Old 07-22-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
It needs to be the Interlux two part primer WHICH will also lift NON-compatible paint

The two part solvents are very agressive stuff

Just opening the can of paint will supprise you without a proper respirator

I would suggest you download all the paint docs from Interlux as failure to follow the plan will result in a failed paint job

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 07-22-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-22-2009

thanks! How does it do with gel coat?
Old 07-22-2009

saltyoldman is on a distinguished road
I did the top sides (the hull) with perfection. I sanded to the gel coat and did two coats of perfection. This was in 2005, I believe the first year it was out. Still looks great. In fact, I get lots of comments on how great it looks.

Last year I did the deck. I faced the same questions you asked. I choose a small section of the deck an put the thinner recommended for perfection in this area. I waited more than an hour to see how the area reacted. When nothing happened. I pained a hatch cover. Waited a week. Nothing happened. So I did the rest of the boat. It looks great and have not had any problems.

When painting the hull, I rolled and a friend tipped, following directly behind me. His eyes were better and found the small areas that were missed. It made for a great paint job that shines with a high gloss to this day. It looks like it was sprayed on. Only a very close inspection would reveal that its a tip and roll job.

When I did the deck last year, I was alone. While the job looks great, it is not as good as the top sides.

One of the keys to doing a good job, is the thinning of the paint. To get this right when doing the hull, we practiced on the transom. Its a small area, easy to sand runs or orange peel out. When doing the deck, I used a hatch cover.

I, too, didnt know what the previous owner had done to the deck. I am not recommending you do what I did. Its just a description of how I approached the questions you face.

Good luck! Perfections is a great choice IMHO.
Old 07-23-2009

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Over Gelcoat:

I applied 2 coats of PrimeKote and then 2 coats of Perfection directly over (de-waxed, faired and sanded) gelcoat. Adhesion was and has been just fine.

This was my first painting experience... it is true... a good job is 90% prep and 10% painting. However, having 2 people for at least the final coat (one roll, one tip) gave notably better results on my port side compared to the do-it-myself starboard side.

I'd echo the other comments about the chemical strength of Perfection... if I were going over previous (unknown) paint, I'd do a lot of patch-testing for compatibility.