SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Options for in cabin heaters (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/5643-options-cabin-heaters.html)

RookieHunter 11-24-2002 05:11 PM

Options for in cabin heaters

Even though I live in the panhandle of Florida, I''m interested in an in-cabin heater to get us through the winter. It will not be for overnights as much as cold afternoon stops.

My understanding of electric heaters is that most of the resistance heaters would use up major amperage (and therefore drain the battery). My concern with fuel heaters would be fumes.

I need an inexpensive and non-permanent option since I only need a heater 2 1/2 months a year. Therefore I can remove it easily come late february.

Am I dreaming that anything fits this description, or should I just drive the heater off a separate battery?

pirateofcapeann 11-25-2002 08:38 AM

Forget electric heaters. Look into a Force 10 propane heater. If your cook stove is propane, the fuel supply can do double duty. The 10,000 BTUs should be enough to "take the edge off" a chilly afternoon.

WHOOSH 11-25-2002 12:22 PM

RH:

Since you''re way up there in Cold Country (as viewed by those of us down in St. Pete!), you get to pick 2 out of 3: inexpensive, useable at the dock, and/or safe in a confined space. Regretably, we don''t get all 3.

Fuel heaters can be vented externally (e.g. propane & diesel/kero fuels) in which case they produce dry heat and the CO is sent thru a deck pipe. They require permanent installation and a few hundred dollars. Non-vented fuel heaters (catalytic heaters, kerosene space heaters) are warm, cheap & portable - but all the CO is vented into the boat''s cabin. Electric heat would be tough to support, even with a sizeable inverter and house bank: e.g. one 10 amp 110V AC space heater (typical) + inverter ineffencies for a 10 hr period = 1000+ amp/hrs. Cheaper to buy a 10 mile long yellow cord. <g>

You sound like a good candidate for an inexpensive kerosene space heater. Check stores that sell wood burning stoves or have a good hardware selection. Leave a hatch cracked for good ventilation and don''t leave it lighted should you spend the night or feel like taking a nice long nap - it might be too long.

Jack

jparker11 11-25-2002 02:26 PM

Rookiehunter,

You didn''t describe the systems on your boat other than batteries. Do you have pressurized hot water? Inboard auxillary fresh water cooled?

A small fan coil unit could utilize either of these heat sources to break the chill of a late afternoon.

windship2 11-25-2002 03:31 PM

Rookiehunter,
Forget about electric heat. Your batts won''t do it.
If your going to have your boat for a few years more, I think you would be very happy with the Force 10 Cozy Cabin heater.
As WOOOSH(Jack)Described, the heat is dry and the bad stuff goes up the pipe.
This unit can be bought complete for about $300.00 then you have to buy the tank regulater and gas lines and install isn''t hard. Do you already have propane on board?

Dennis

sanctuary 11-25-2002 04:47 PM

If you have propane I second the Force 10. If not try either the Force 10 deisel heater jetted for kerosene and burning synthetic fuel or the Origo Alcohol heater, which puts out a bit less BTU. Either way electric from battery would be out of the question. If you already have a stove on board you can heat pots of water and leave them on the stoive overnight. Doesn''t heat it but sure take the chill off. Kerosene lamps also give off quite a bit of heat while lit.

P323 on LI Sound

Cheetie 11-26-2002 02:30 PM

I really like my Espar heater. I''m located in Maine and the weather has been down in the low 20''s lately. Just fire it up and let it go! I do have CO detectors in the main saloon and sleeping quarters- just in case.

windship2 11-26-2002 02:56 PM

Cheetie,
How much does an Espar cost to buy and install?
What yearly maintainence does it require?

Dennis