Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-22-2009
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
Navico PowerPilot 8000 problems

Do any of you have experience with the navico 8000 below decks, hydraulic autopilot?

I have one that I am experiencing some difficulty with. Hopefully, someone could help troubleshoot.

Firstly; I replaced the remote controller because the rubber button broke from age, forcing me to activate it by sticking my finger into the hole left by the rubber button and pressing a button on the circuitboard. The pilot worked flawlessly at this point. With the new controller in place, the pilot grabs the wheel when engaged but when I press the button to turn to port or starboard, the LED indicator light simply flashes but doesn't turn the wheel. Specifically; the LED goes off when the turn button is depressed and relights when the finger is removed. I have attached the hand programmer and the result is the same when using the programmer to direct the autopilot.

Secondly, I have reinitiated the process where the computer learnes the rudder limits without success in case the pilot needed to be initialized.

Before my problem, I had engine work done, requiring that the engine be removed out of the compartment. It's back and the wiring seems to be ok.

I am stumped. I called Navico but the Navico that made this pilot was bought by Simrad which, in turn, was bought by Navico (not the same). There wasn't anyone to talk to who knew the product.

Now, I have replacement parts for most everything. I have tried to replace the remote controller with no success. I have attached the hand programmer and the result is the same. I could replace everything piece by piece but I was hoping for a suggestion about where to start. Anyone with some ideas?

Tod

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2009

DonaldA.Davis is on a distinguished road
Tod,

If your rudder feedback Unit is sensing movement or is defective this could be causing your problems. There could also be a problem in the Junction Box/Amplifier which is the nerve center for this system. I have a new Junction Box and PU1 upgraded pump unit for sale if you want to go that route. These were spares for my Morgan 46 world traveler which I no longer own. Also have the Navico Owners Manual which would go with this package.

Don Davis
Old 07-22-2009
Sailor

before I throw more good money after bad, any idea what could be causing my problem?
Old 02-04-2010

DavidQ is on a distinguished road
I'm also having problems with my Navico 8000 AP; holds course for maybe 5 minutes then wanders off on its own merry way! Can't seem to find anybody who can tell me what is wrong!

Would anyone know if it would be simply the feedback unit?

The whole system has been working perfectly for years and now it has a mind of it's own!

David
Old 02-04-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Interesting. We have a Navico 5000 which has exactly the same problem as David Q. I've given up on the damn thing and am about to deep six it.

Now given that the 5000 is a Wheel Pilot and the 8000 a proper below decks jobbie methinks that maybe the problem lies in the electronics.

Whatever, given that parts are no go, backup is no go and indeed Navico as such no longer exists I wonder if there is any point in perservering ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 02-06-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2010
Sailor

I found my problem to be a wire that came disconnected that was hidden in a bundle of wires. So I am back in business with a working unit. As far as the unit wandering off; I had to play with the gain knob to get it to behave. Could that setting been inadvertantly changed? When I was thinking of replacing the unit, I talked with a guy in an electronic store who really liked the Foruno units. I would have replaced my Powerpilot with a Foruno unit in a minute! However, now that I have a working unit, there's no need to spend the $$$$! I am keeping it in mind for the future. I won't buy another Simrad due to lack of support on the PowerPilot (I know the company has been bought several times but...)

Good luck in solving your problem!

Tod
Old 02-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
I found my problem to be a wire that came disconnected that was hidden in a bundle of wires. So I am back in business with a working unit. As far as the unit wandering off; I had to play with the gain knob to get it to behave. Could that setting been inadvertantly changed? When I was thinking of replacing the unit, I talked with a guy in an electronic store who really liked the Foruno units. I would have replaced my Powerpilot with a Foruno unit in a minute! However, now that I have a working unit, there's no need to spend the $$$$! I am keeping it in mind for the future. I won't buy another Simrad due to lack of support on the PowerPilot (I know the company has been bought several times but...)

Good luck in solving your problem!

Tod
After all these years I'm not surprised that parts are no longer available but it is disappointing that they cannot give assistance or documentation. I guess its a sign of the times but its a shame to have to ditch a piece of gear when the problem may indeed be relatively minor.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.